A Viking Day Out”

On Wednesday 6th March, the P4 classes set off on ‘A Viking Day Out’. We got on the bus just after 9 and arrived in Edinburgh at the National Museum in Chambers St just after 10. The traffic was pretty bad and so our journey was long.

When we arrived, we found our base for the day and had our snacks. After snack we headed down to the Viking gallery. We had a worksheet to complete finding out about the Vikings in Scotland, their jewellery and the very famous Lewis Chessmen.

After this we went down to the early civilisations gallery and sat on some steps. Helen, from the Learning Team, showed us a Viking helmet, some brooches and a key. We were allowed to handle then and feel them. The helmet was really heavy! We thought the key might’ve been a comb so she showed us a comb too!

We then went into the main gallery and looked at other Viking artefacts which were found in Scotland. We saw a Viking grave, which is not at all like a grave nowadays. Vikings were buried with their precious possessions such as a key, a shield, a game, a comb, a brooch pin and even a pair of scissors. These were the items that a Viking would need in the afterlife.

After lunch, we went into the auditorium to watch a great show called ‘A Viking Day Out’. In the show a boy called Jason had a sleep near a rock on the island of Orkney. He had a dream where he was taken back to Viking times nearly 1200 years ago. In Viking times, he met a girl named Githa who took him as her thrall (or slave) and called him Botfus which means ‘asks lots of questions’. He met the jarl of the steading and heard a saga where Odin tried to drink from the fountain of knowledge but had to sacrifice his eye to be wise.  Githa had lost her arm ring which was her money that she needed for the book that her father had wanted to buy. Eventually she found it by the wagon stone.

We found out that most people with ginger or blond hair are actually descended from the Vikings. We have quite a few in P4 so beware!

These are our best bits:

Lucas – I enjoyed watching the clock chime.

Kyle – I liked that we saw the Viking bit and we did a quiz. It was fun.

Archie – I loved the helmet, key and brooches because they looked do real but they were 3d printed.

Lilyrose – I liked when we watched the clock because it was all moving.

Eva – I liked that we got to touch real Viking stuff. The helmet was heavy.

Lois – I liked the show because it was fun.

Orlaith – I enjoyed handling the Viking key because it looked very different t our keys.

Grace – I enjoyed the Viking play because it was interesting and fun.

Alysheeya – I liked the Viking day because I like our topic and I wonder how many Vikings lived.

Charlotte – I liked the show because it was funny.

Rosie – I had the best time of my life. The show was best because a boy when back in time to the Vikings……..

Hollie – I learned that if you have blond or ginger hair with blue eyes you have the blood of Vikings.

Sam – I loved the little Viking play because it was realistic.

Emily – I had fun at the end of the trip and it was fun.

Elena – We learned that Viking helmets were very, very, very heavy because they were made of metal.

Ehan – I liked the show from the millennium clock because it looked good.

Sara – I really liked the show. My favourite character was the girl because she was a Viking girl.

Artjom – I heard that a hairbrush is called a comb in Viking times.

Alfie – I enjoyed looking at the Viking helmet.

Daniel – I liked the chess pieces because it was such talented work.

Emma – I loved seeing Helen because she taught us about the Vikings. It was amazing.

Luke – I enjoyed the show because it was really fun.

Teigan – I enjoyed seeing the grave because I learned new things about the Vikings.

P4b

Emily – I liked it when we sat the play called a Viking Day out.

Tiana – I enjoyed on the trip that me and Grace were partners and I got a sausage roll.

Keira – In Valhalla they Vikings eat until they are sick.

Grace M – I liked it when were told about the special Viking objects. This is amber and polished amber.

Evie – I liked the Viking day out. It was a show.

Archie – I enjoyed the show about Vikings. It was a very good show. It was called ‘A Viking Day Out’.

Ava – We saw ring money. We saw a dead body.

Esther – The Vikings used ring money which is something they wore on their arms and snapped a piece off to pay.

Nina- I learned that they used to trade things and that they didn’t have horns on their helmets.

Sophie M – I leaned that the Vikings wore ring money.

Isla – I learnt that they also used pennies as well as ring money.

Eilidh – I enjoyed the show called ‘A Viking Day Out’ and the Viking bones and shields.

Eden -I loved the show that we saw. There were other schools there are we learnt a new song. My favourite bit was when we were eating lunch. There was a great high view.

Sophie A – I enjoyed watching the Viking day out. I loved it.

Lacey – I liked the swords and the gold necklaces.

Grace Mac – I enjoyed when we all went into a room and we watched a show about Vikings.

Fearne – I liked the show about the Vikings.

Dionne – I enjoyed what the Vikings ate – fish stew.

Jess – I learned about the Voicings and we watched a show about them. It was good and I noticed fossils in the ground and it was interesting.

Scott – I liked how we did the sheets to find out about the Vikings.

Luis – I enjoyed finding Viking stuff and looking at a dead Viking body. I learned that Vikings never had horns on their helmets.

Lily – I liked it when we saw the play called ‘A Viking Day out’.

We are really looking forward to welcoming parents, carers and members of the school community to our show next week. Please can all children remember that they MUST have their costumes in on Monday for the dress rehearsal and their best speaking/singing voices at the ready!

P4a – table of the week – with 200 points