P6B Explore the Nutritional Value of Food

P6B have enjoyed learning all about the nutritional value of different foods we eat on a regular basis.

By examining the nutrition tables, key ingredients and allergens on food packaging that had been collected, we were able to identify the wide variety of contents which the foods we consume contain. We recorded and compared our findings, referring to our previous learning where we used the Eatwell Plate and food pyramid.

Many of us were very surprised by the amount of salt, fat and sugar the food contained. We discussed what a diet high in these contents could do to the mind and body.

Skye – I was really surprised by how much salt apple juice contained compared to orange juice, which was much lower!

Jack – Interestingly, ‘Tangtastics’ contains elder-flower, grapes and kiwi. Some people think it must be a flavouring. I found out that a main ingredient in Doritos is corn, I didn’t know this!

Luca – I was very shocked by the amount of natural sugar contained in fruit. 

Hopefully, by developing our knowledge and awareness of food contents, we are now more able to make healthy choices which help us to maintain a balanced diet! Well done, P6B!