Mad Science in Class M

Continuing our learning about materials, we moved on to solids, liquids and gases this week. We learned that some materials can change state. In solids the molecules are tightly packed together and have a definite shape. We started with a bar of chocolate. When we heated it up in the microwave the chocolate melted. We discovered that heat energy makes the molecules vibrate and move freely which means it becomes a liquid. We used our melted chocolate to make crispie cakes.

In music we experimented with different instruments. We took turns hiding behind a screen and playing instruments for our partner to guess. We had to guess the name of the instrument and what it was made from.

Here are our highlights from the week:

Adam – I liked making the chocolate crispies. It was fun. When chocolates cold it’s solid. When it’s hot it’s a liquid. When it’s really, really hot the chocolate will evaporate to a gas.

Dylan – We made a lava lamp we put oil , water, food colouring and a fizzy tablet in .

Joe – I was doing English reading in Armadale Primary , it was about French painters. It was good.

Yolie – Yesterday I made a lava lamp. It was vegetable oil and water, put it in a water bottle. It was orange and sparkly. I put a fizzy tablet it, it made bubbles.

img_0947 img_0948 img_0949 img_0952 img_0956 img_0957 img_0958 img_0961 img_0962 img_0965 img_0969 img_0971