Victorian Life in P5b

Context for learning

This week we were comparing Victorian toys to the toys we play with today. We identified what materials they were made of, who used them and if it was a toy that used skill, imagination or exercise. We decided that Victorian toys are initially fun to play but we could easily get bored of them after a while. We also realised that most Victorian toys were handmade or made from wood. Whereas, a lot of the toys we play with today are made of plastic and are electronic. We realise how lucky we are because we have such a wide variety of choice compared to what Victorian children had.

This week we prepared some open-ended questions to ask underage chimney sweeps. We wanted to know what it was like to work in the chimneys. We then used these questions to interview the chimney sweeps. We used the hot seating drama convention to do this. Luca, Fiona and Casey acted as Jeff, Vic and Courtney and told us what is was like to work in the chimneys.

They told us:

‘I got stuck up the chimney once and it took me hours to squeeze myself out.’

‘I do not get paid. I only get some bread and milk when I have my daily break.’

‘I need to work in the chimneys because I need to help feed my family.’

‘I am 10 and I have been working as a chimney sweep since I was 6.’

We are now going to include this information in our newspaper articles on underage chimney sweeps.

By P5b and Miss McClements

From the Blog Post Box:

Something new I learned this week was…

…that when you divide Tens and Ones you start with the Tens. When adding, subtracting and multiplying you start with the Ones!                  Steven

…what N/A means and that you can use it when completing a survey.                   Casey

…how to divide with remainders.                              Gary

…that they didn’t have any plastic toys in Victorian times.                            Archie

…the 12 times table.        Emma

Pupil of the Week: Murray

Article 28

You have the right to a good quality education.

10 thoughts on “Victorian Life in P5b”

1. I am so impressed with all your learning! Division with remainders! Wow! I love Steven’s top tip!
    In the hot-seating activity those who played the role of the chimney sweep gave some great answers & enabled the class to include some great quotes in their newspaper articles! Keep up the hard work P5b! 🌟