Victorian school day in P5m

P5m had a Victorian School day on Wednesday afternoon. We follwed Victorian school rules which were VERY strict! No fidgeting and no asking questions – imagine! A lot of us found it really hard to follow the Victorian class rules!
We followed a Victorian timetable for the afternoon. We did poetry recital and if you were not able to recite the poem correctly you were put in the corner with the Dunce’s hat on. We then did an object study on the potato, how interesting! We practised our times tables and the alphabet, sang hymns and practised Copperplate writing – it was very hard!!
Fortunately Mrs McClafferty did not have to cane anyone, but I think I was pretty scary!
Ali thought the Victorian classroom was horrible and Travis felt the Victorian’s had bad teachers, but found the Dunce’s hat funny!
Lily learned that maths was called Arithmatic and children had to wear a Dunce’s hat if they made a silly mistake!
Cameron learned that Victorian schools were scary and they used ink to write.
Abby enjoyed learning about the potato and enjoyed Drill.
Mirren thought the Victorian school day was fun and scary!
Emma C learned that children had to sit in rows in the classroom.
Sophie learned about what Victorian children wore to school (no hoodies) and that school was very strict!
Emma B learned that the children had to line up in two rows, a boys row and a girls row and had to line up tallest to smallest.
Charlie learned that Victorian children had to have a hand and shoe inspection and teachers in Victorian times were alot stricter.
Ross learned how to bow to the teacher (and did it very well)!

I think it’s safe to say that the class prefer to school the way it is today but we all had  great fun!

17 thoughts on “Victorian school day in P5m”

1. Sounds fab!!! Has anyone been put in the dunce corner yet?!?!? Have fun,I remember I loved doing The Victorians as a topic when i was in p5!!!

2. Phew, so glad Mrs Mcclafferty didnt need to use the cane. When I was at school the teachers used a belt on children. Thank goodness the belt and the cane are no longer used! You boys and girls are very lucky!

3. Hello 5m,

This all sounds like an interesting afternoon. I see a few of you had to wear the dunce’s hat. Oh dear! Quite a contrast between school in Victorian times and school today. It does sound like we have more fun in class than the Victorian children ever did.

Have a lovely weekend,
    Mrs Spence

4. Hi Primary 5m,

I saw Mrs McClafferty wearing the dunce hat today because she had spelt dunce incorrectly. She didn’t look too happy. It’s quite amazing to learn about how school was very different in Victorian times and how children were punished for doing simple things like spelling a word incorrectly. I love hearing about all of your learning each week.

Have a lovely weekend.

Miss Henderson

5. Hi i loved doing the victorian afternoon it was so fun we got to do their handwriting and we also wrote a victioran diary it was so fun. We got to dress up in some of their clothes:)

6. Adam feels very very lucky that he didn’t go to school in the Victorian times!! He thinks he would have got the cane 🙁

7. P5m your photos are brilliant!
    Yes, lucky for you that there are no longer canes or belts in school. I remember the belt from my primary school days, it was like a big thick brown leather snakes tongue!!….in the words of Cameron ‘how horrifying!!’