Finally finished! This has been my biggest project yet and I hope to do more just like it. Anyway, after talking to a machinist, I found out the reason why the drill was not going through. It was due to the drill bit spinning too fast and this prevents the drill from catching onto the steel, causing the drill to slide around. This probably also was the reason why the drill slipped down the piece causing the wrong hole placement.
I then found 6 mm screws and slotted them through the holes allowing the door handle to…you guessed it! Fit to a door.
As I focus on traditional style blacksmithing I will use the least amount of machines possible. However sometimes, like in part 5 of the project, i have to use machines to progress as I did not have the tools required to punch and drift the holes and had no time to make any. In the meantime, I will build up my stock for a spring fare that I am hosting a stall for, while also building up a variety of new tools, like punches and drifts to decrease my machine use.
The good news is that I have finished the angle adjustments of each end and is now flush on a flat surface.
This is the bad news… Using a 6 mm drill bit, the drill slide down and went too far down the piece.
The second hole’s position is fine. however the drill bit, even with lubricant, will not penetrate through the steel. I’m not sure what’s causing this, but i will find out and find a way to drill through.
Before i do that however, on the anvil, I will try and hit out that mark I made with the drill. The end of the piece was looking too narrow anyway, so stretching out the piece hopefully will conveniently do it some good.
I’ll try do be more careful with the other side and just to be sure, i’ll only drill one hole for one screw as it was getting a little too close for both of them.
By the way, I hate machining. (-:
Finished the other double bend and is now pretty much complete, with a few minor angle adjustments left to do. I also have to drill the two 6 mm holes on both ends in order for the handle to be screwed to a door.
Forging the main bend for the door handle and is now beginning to take shape.
Now after a few angle adjustment, I should now repeat the same actions to the other side.
Still yet to straighten the bar.
I also need to extend the twist in by making two smaller ones on ether end, as the dimensions given to me were changed.
And here is the updated version with the longer twists.
I also reverted the twist slightly about 3/4 up to create a space where a thumb would sit during use. This generates good ergonomics for the handle.
Forging the bend for the head of the twisting wrench.
The wrench will be essential for the door handle’s twist as the twist is too long for the adjustable wrench that I had been using for previous twists in past projects.
The twisting wrench after use. The wrench is a little thin for twisting 1/2 inch square stock, but I managed to do the twist anyway with minimal problems.
I measured the total (45cm) and then divided it by 4 getting 11.25cm. Then measured and scribed a quarter on each side of the steel in order to find out where I need to issue bends and leaving the remaining half for twisting.
New Youtube Channel!
I will upload as much as I can and primarily focus on all things Blacksmithing . Make sure you subscribe for more content.