Home Learning week beginning 15/06/20

Hello everyone! It’s your last full week as a Primary 6! How do you feel? I want you to know how proud I am of you all, it definitely hasn’t been easy but you’ve powered through and you should be proud of yourselves too! I’ve really missed being in class with you over the last few months… online learning just hasn’t been the same.

Remember, you can submit your Britain’s Got Talent video on Twitter anytime between today and Friday. Tweet @burnsideprim so we can see all your talents!

Make sure you have a look at the other post I have put on the blog today to find out more information about Sports WEEK!

Since it’s your last full week, I won’t give you lots of Numeracy and Literacy. If we were in school we’d be doing things differently so we’ll do the same here. You also need to start thinking about your really important job of being a buddy (more about that below!)

Literacy ideas:

Writing: I know lots of you were really excited about being a buddy this year and have been upset about not getting to meet them. Normally around this time you would fill in an application form to become a buddy. Since you won’t be doing that this year, I thought you could think about all the talents and skills you have and write a letter explaining why you would be a good buddy. When you meet your buddy when you return to school you could read it to them.

Think about how anxious or scared your buddy might be about starting school, especially during these strange times we are in. They will need you to be there for them and help them around the school. Why don’t you include some things about yourself so your buddy can learn some things about you and get to know you. I bet they’d be really glad to know that they have someone looking out for them. I know how excited some of you will be about seeing your buddy so you should include this in you letter too.

Blether Stations:

This year has obviously been a bit different and you’ve had to adapt to a different kind of life. I want you to think all the way back to the start of Primary 6 and think about what you’ve learned and how you’ve changed. Think about what you want to learn in Primary 7. Use these blether stations and discuss these things with your adults at home, or even your siblings. There is a sheet at the end to record your answers if you wish. You don’t need to answer them all, you can pick which ones you’d like to answer.

end of year blether stations

Time Capsule:

You might want to record things that you have done during lockdown, or how you have been feeling. This has been such a strange time for you so it might be nice to record your feelings and how you filled your time.

COVID time capsule

Numeracy ideas:

Sumdog South Lanarkshire Contest: Sumdog have another contest starting on the 19th June and running until the 25th June. To qualify and get on the leader board we need at least 10 of you to play. You did so well the last time so let’s see if we can do even better this time!

Outdoor maths activities: I posted these last week but you might not have had a chance to complete them.

Challenge Cards

Active Maths quiz: I’ve included these this week again as I think they are a bit more fun than your average maths quiz. You can pick the one you think will challenge you or you can start at the mild challenge and work your way up. Remember to skip the 5 minute wait at the beginning.

EXTRA HOT

HOT

SPICY

MILD

Remember, the BBC Bitesize Maths challenge will be uploaded on a Friday as usual. As well as the Maths challenge, there are lots of other activities available on this website. If you haven’t already, you could have a look and choose an area of maths that you feel you could work on. Revision is always a good thing!

BBC Bitesize

Art ideas:

Design a ‘Welcome to Burnside’ card to give to your buddy. You might want to include a message inside too. Right now you don’t know who your buddy is but you could design a card and write their names inside later.

If there are other things you’d like to do for your buddy then go ahead! I’m sure when the time comes, they’ll be so happy with what you have done! If you have any other ideas you can leave a wee comment for others to see.

I am unique art activity: This is an opportunity for you to show what you’re like! We are all unique and you should be proud of who you are! If you complete this activity you might even want to keep it to show your p7 teacher. You can either use the template provided or you can make your own. Once you have your template, you have to write all about yourself in between the spaces. I have included an example to show you what I mean. When someone reads it, they can learn all about you: what your name is, who you live with, your hobbies and your favourite things! You have to fill up the whole thing so people can learn lots about you!

example

I am unique

Food waste: Have a look at this poster… did you know that 4 million bananas are wasted in the UK EVERY DAY alone?

food waste

I know that when my bananas are too ripe, I make banana bread and I know lots of you have done that too! What other ways can you save waste?  I have to admit, I love batch cooking and putting it in the freezer. Or I make soup with whatever vegetables I have left so they don’t go to waste. Why do you think it’s important to try and reduce your food waste? How do you think it affects the environment?

Why don’t you make a list of the things you do to help reduce waste and make another list of why it is important to reduce waste. Then you could make a persuasive poster to try and persuade others to do the same. You can use the poster above as inspiration. You might want to draw your poster, make a PowerPoint, make a jingle or even make your own advert. It’s up to you!

Topic:

Movie Night Challenge:  I know some of you really enjoy watching movies so this activity could be for you! All you have to do is follow the steps to organise your own movie night. You might want to complete the activities on one slide each day. How are you going to decide on the film? What snacks are you going to have? So many questions!

Movie Night Challenge

ICT: 

Keep going with the BBC Dance Mat touch typing game… practise makes perfect!

Any questions let me know!