Last day!

Hello everyone! The holidays are finally here!

It has been a blast p6, I have enjoyed every minute of getting to know you all and being your teacher this year. In class, you worked so hard and defintely made me smile every day. I also want to thank you for all your effort and hard work over the last three months. I know it might not have been easy at times but you have all been amazing. I have missed all of you so much but it has been great hearing what you’ve been up to through blog comments and emails. I have loved seeing photos of all your work and activities and I am so, so proud of all that you have achieved.

I hope you and your families have a lovely summer and have as much fun as you can. Hopefully you’ve already received your letter to let you know who your teacher is next year and are excited about coming back after the holidays. Unfortunately I won’t be working at Burnside after the holidays so I won’t see you 😔 I know you will all be fabulous in Primary 7 and will show the rest of the school what good role models you are.

Here are the amazing posters I’ve received this week so have a look and leave a comment for your friends if you wish!

Stay safe everyone and have a fabulous holiday! ☺️

Home learning week beginning 22/06/20

Hello everyone!

Well it’s here already, your last few days as Primary 6! You’ve been amazing this year and I am so, so sad that we didn’t get to do more in Room 12. I have loved seeing you guys progress through Primary 6, learning lots and taking on new responsibilities. You should all be so proud of yourselves. I am definitely going to miss you all, especially all of your chat and jokes!

Your official last day is Wednesday at 1pm so I only have a few suggestions for tasks you can complete.

Art:

This week I would like you to reflect back on your year in P6. What have been your favourite moments, your best memories, your greatest achievements, what did you enjoy the most about P6? Your task is to create a colourful poster illustrating these memories to remind yourself of all the great things that have happened in the past school year.

Sometimes it’s easy to forget the positives and get hung up on the negative elements that happen in our lives, especially now when things are so different for everyone. As much as some of you probably thought this was going to be great getting time away from school when the school first closed, I know that many of you are actually really missing being in school and spending time with your friends. Personally, I can’t wait to get back to school. Staring at a laptop all day and putting work on a blog is DEFINITELY not as fun as being in class with you all.

You don’t have a lot of time to create your poster as I’d like you to send them to me so I can post them on the blog on Wednesday for our last day. It would be really lovely if we could get a poster from everyone so that we can all be reminded of the positives of the past year and end on a high. Please either email your poster to the gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk address or to my own email (gw16pantonjennifer@glow.sch.uk). If you don’t want to include your name on your poster that is absolutely fine and I can post it anonymously.

Design and Technology:

Your challenge this week is to create your own family board game. This can be based on any subject and designed around any theme you like. Think of games that you have played and whether you enjoyed them or not and try to identify what it is about them that makes them successful.

I have included a booklet to help you with your design process, you do not need to complete every page in it! It will be useful as it gives you several examples of basic board games for you to have a go at playing first and evaluate how easy they are to understand and play and whether there are any flaws in them. This will help when designing your own game to ensure that it is not impossible to play.

Once you have completed the planning and design phase, you can then create the real version of your game. It might be drawn out on paper, or maybe you could make it a 3D game using some cardboard from your recycling. Whichever way you choose, remember to make it bright, colourful and appealing to play. If your game requires extra elements such as game pieces you will need to create these too. You will also have to write instructions to go with your game so that others know the rules.

Finally, test out the game by playing it with your family!

Design a board game booklet

The link below will give you the planning sheets that are mentioned in the booklet to help with your design process and help with identifying errors in the example games.

Design worksheets

Another STEM activity you could try is making your own marble run! Make one by using things you have around the house and be as creative as you can!

Here is an example:

Or you could make your marble run from cardboard:

There are lots of ideas on Youtube, some are much harder than others so it depends on how handy you are! Good luck!

Remember, you also have the South Lanarkshire Sumdog contest to compete in, it finishes on the 25th June!

Have a great last few days everyone, and please remember to email me any posters you make so I can add them to the post on Wednesday!

Sports week – final day

Here’s your challenge for Friday! This is your last challenge of the week!

Remember, you can send your pictures to gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk. You can also post your photos/videos on Twitter. Tweet your pictures to @burnsideprim and @ActiveSchoolsSL and include the hashtag #BurnsideForGold

Good luck everyone, and remember all family members can take part!

Obstacle course

Resources – This is for you to be creative (and safe) by making your own obstacle course.

Aim – complete the course in the fastest time.

Each player should be given the chance to complete the obstacle course against the clock. The player who completes it quickest wins.

Points: 1st – 3 points          2nd – 2 points             3rd – 1 point

That completes our Sports WEEK! It’s been a little different this year but I hope you enjoyed the challenges!

FINAL weekly check-in

Hi everyone! I hope you are all well.

This is your final check-in of Primary 6 so let’s see how many people we can get to leave a comment! Have you all been trying the Sports week challenges? Let us know how you got on with them!

This week I have been in school again, tidying room 12 so it’s ready for the next class in August. It hasn’t been an easy job but it’s nearly there!

I look forward to hearing from you all, and please remember to leave a comment (or an email) by 3pm on Friday!

Sports week (day four)

Here’s your challenge for Thursday!

HIIT challenge

Resources – Stopwatch

Aim – to complete the HIIT workout in the fastest time (each family can decide on a number they think they can challenge themselves with).

10-20 sit ups

10-20 press ups

10-20 jumping jacks

10-20 squats

The person who completes this quickest is the winner

Points : 1st – 3 points                  2nd – 2 points                     3rd – 1 point

Chest push

Resources – something to measure a distance (e.g. tape measure), ball (football/basketball)

Aim – to throw the ball the furthest distance

Holding the ball in two hands at your chest, take two attempts at throwing the ball. Someone should record where the ball touches the floor. Record the best score for each player.

Points: 1st – 3 points                    2nd – 2 points                    3rd – 1 point

Good luck!

Sports week (day three)

Here’s your challenge for Wednesday!

Sack Race

Resources – Pillow cases, bin bags or plastic bags to use as a sack. Something to mark the start and finish.

Aim – Complete the sack track in the fastest time.

Set up a start and finish post. You could do a double run to make it longer.

Option 1 – All players race at the same time

Option 2 – Each player completed the course in against the clock. Quickest time is the winner

Points: 1st – 3 points          2nd – 2 points          3rd – 1 point

Dribbling

Resources – Stopwatch, a small number of objects to act as markers e.g. tins and a decent sized ball (e.g. football, basketball)

Aim – Dribble the ball around the markers

Set the tins out in a straight line with some space in between. Each player should dribble the ball around the tins again the clock. Fastest player wins.

Challenge – At the end of your dribbling course you could try to score a goal. Fastest time wins. Bonus point if you score a goal.

Points: 1st – 3 points        2nd – 2 points           3rd – 1 point

+ bonus point if you score a goal.

Good luck!

Sports week (day two)

Here’s your challenge for Tuesday!

Long Jump

Resources – tape measure (if possible), something to mark the starting line and name tags to mark the final jump position.

Aim – Who can jump the furthest?

You can choose whether it is a standing jump or a running run depending on your available space.

Each player completes 2 jumps with the best score being taken forward.

The person who jumps the furthest is the winner

Points: 1st:  3 points    2nd: 2 points     3rd: 1point

Shuttle run

Resources stop watch, two items to mark two distances

Aim – Complete the most shuttle runs in 3minutes

Marking two distances in a straight line (e.g. 5-10m apart) in an open space, when the timer begins run in a straight line from the first marker to the second marker and run straight back down again.

1 point is awarded for one COMPLETE shuttle run lap i.e. from the starting point, to the top marker and back again (one full lap) = 1 point.

Points: 1st: 3 points    2nd: 2 points     3rd:1 point

Home Learning week beginning 15/06/20

Hello everyone! It’s your last full week as a Primary 6! How do you feel? I want you to know how proud I am of you all, it definitely hasn’t been easy but you’ve powered through and you should be proud of yourselves too! I’ve really missed being in class with you over the last few months… online learning just hasn’t been the same.

Remember, you can submit your Britain’s Got Talent video on Twitter anytime between today and Friday. Tweet @burnsideprim so we can see all your talents!

Make sure you have a look at the other post I have put on the blog today to find out more information about Sports WEEK!

Since it’s your last full week, I won’t give you lots of Numeracy and Literacy. If we were in school we’d be doing things differently so we’ll do the same here. You also need to start thinking about your really important job of being a buddy (more about that below!)

Literacy ideas:

Writing: I know lots of you were really excited about being a buddy this year and have been upset about not getting to meet them. Normally around this time you would fill in an application form to become a buddy. Since you won’t be doing that this year, I thought you could think about all the talents and skills you have and write a letter explaining why you would be a good buddy. When you meet your buddy when you return to school you could read it to them.

Think about how anxious or scared your buddy might be about starting school, especially during these strange times we are in. They will need you to be there for them and help them around the school. Why don’t you include some things about yourself so your buddy can learn some things about you and get to know you. I bet they’d be really glad to know that they have someone looking out for them. I know how excited some of you will be about seeing your buddy so you should include this in you letter too.

Blether Stations:

This year has obviously been a bit different and you’ve had to adapt to a different kind of life. I want you to think all the way back to the start of Primary 6 and think about what you’ve learned and how you’ve changed. Think about what you want to learn in Primary 7. Use these blether stations and discuss these things with your adults at home, or even your siblings. There is a sheet at the end to record your answers if you wish. You don’t need to answer them all, you can pick which ones you’d like to answer.

end of year blether stations

Time Capsule:

You might want to record things that you have done during lockdown, or how you have been feeling. This has been such a strange time for you so it might be nice to record your feelings and how you filled your time.

COVID time capsule

Numeracy ideas:

Sumdog South Lanarkshire Contest: Sumdog have another contest starting on the 19th June and running until the 25th June. To qualify and get on the leader board we need at least 10 of you to play. You did so well the last time so let’s see if we can do even better this time!

Outdoor maths activities: I posted these last week but you might not have had a chance to complete them.

Challenge Cards

Active Maths quiz: I’ve included these this week again as I think they are a bit more fun than your average maths quiz. You can pick the one you think will challenge you or you can start at the mild challenge and work your way up. Remember to skip the 5 minute wait at the beginning.

EXTRA HOT

HOT

SPICY

MILD

Remember, the BBC Bitesize Maths challenge will be uploaded on a Friday as usual. As well as the Maths challenge, there are lots of other activities available on this website. If you haven’t already, you could have a look and choose an area of maths that you feel you could work on. Revision is always a good thing!

BBC Bitesize

Art ideas:

Design a ‘Welcome to Burnside’ card to give to your buddy. You might want to include a message inside too. Right now you don’t know who your buddy is but you could design a card and write their names inside later.

If there are other things you’d like to do for your buddy then go ahead! I’m sure when the time comes, they’ll be so happy with what you have done! If you have any other ideas you can leave a wee comment for others to see.

I am unique art activity: This is an opportunity for you to show what you’re like! We are all unique and you should be proud of who you are! If you complete this activity you might even want to keep it to show your p7 teacher. You can either use the template provided or you can make your own. Once you have your template, you have to write all about yourself in between the spaces. I have included an example to show you what I mean. When someone reads it, they can learn all about you: what your name is, who you live with, your hobbies and your favourite things! You have to fill up the whole thing so people can learn lots about you!

example

I am unique

Food waste: Have a look at this poster… did you know that 4 million bananas are wasted in the UK EVERY DAY alone?

food waste

I know that when my bananas are too ripe, I make banana bread and I know lots of you have done that too! What other ways can you save waste?  I have to admit, I love batch cooking and putting it in the freezer. Or I make soup with whatever vegetables I have left so they don’t go to waste. Why do you think it’s important to try and reduce your food waste? How do you think it affects the environment?

Why don’t you make a list of the things you do to help reduce waste and make another list of why it is important to reduce waste. Then you could make a persuasive poster to try and persuade others to do the same. You can use the poster above as inspiration. You might want to draw your poster, make a PowerPoint, make a jingle or even make your own advert. It’s up to you!

Topic:

Movie Night Challenge:  I know some of you really enjoy watching movies so this activity could be for you! All you have to do is follow the steps to organise your own movie night. You might want to complete the activities on one slide each day. How are you going to decide on the film? What snacks are you going to have? So many questions!

Movie Night Challenge

ICT: 

Keep going with the BBC Dance Mat touch typing game… practise makes perfect!

Any questions let me know!

Sports week (day one)

Now, usually at the end of the year we have our Sport’s Day. Since this can’t happen this year we have decided to have a Sports WEEK! Each day, you will have two challenges to complete. I will post them on the blog but they will also be posted on the school app.  Remember, if you have any photos, send them to gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk or you can Tweet your photos/videos to @burnsideprim and @ActiveSchoolsSL. If you tweet anything include the hashtag #BurnsideForGold.

Here is your Monday challenge. All family members can take part!

1. Egg and spoon race

Resources – spoon, hard boiled eggs for each player or a small ball for each player, stop watch.

Aim – run from a starting point to the finishing point with the ‘egg’ on the spoon.

Mark out an area for the race. You can do a double journey to make it longer.

Option 1 – All players run at the same time.

Option 2 – Each player runs separately against the clock. Shortest time wins

You choose – If you drop the egg should you return to the start or keep going.

Points: 1st – 3 points   2nd – 2 points  3rd – 1 point

2. Sock Toss

Resources – 5 pairs of socks and a bucket

Aim – throw the socks in the bucket from a short distance

Points – 1 point for each pair of socks that land in the bucket.

Good luck everyone!