- Foundation Apprenticeships help young people gain valuable, real-world work experience and access work-based learning while they’re still at school.
- Foundation apprenticeships are for pupils in S5 who want to get a head-start in their career.
- A Foundation Apprenticeship takes two years to complete, and during this time students spend part of the week out of school, getting hands-on experience at college. They also work on real projects with a local employer. All the while, they’re studying towards an industry-recognised qualification (set at SCQF level 6) – alongside their other subjects.
- Foundation Apprenticeships could be a stepping-stone to a job, college or university – or a fast-track into a Modern Apprenticeship.
- For employers, it’s the chance to attract highly motivated and committed young people who are willing to learn, identify young people who are right for your business and ensure your organisation has people with the skills you need.
In South Ayrshire, Foundation Apprenticeships are delivered by Ayrshire College on a Tuesday and Thurday afternoon.
For session 2018-19, Foundation Apprenticeships will be available in the following areas:
|Social Services: Children and Young People (Year 1)||Tue/Thu||2pm – 5pm||Ayr|
|Engineering (Year 1)||Tue/Thu||2pm – 5pm||Ayr|
|Civil Engineering||Tue/Thu||2pm – 5pm||Ayr|
|Software Development (Year 1)||Tue/Thu||2pm – 4pm||Ayr|
|Hardware and System Support (Year 1)||Tue/Thu||2pm – 4pm||Kilwinning|
Further information can be provided by speaking to the relevant person in your child’s school e.g. Guidance teacher or visit the Foundation Apprenticeship website.