Work Out!

South Ayrshire Council’s Work Out! programme, gives pupils, aged from 14 to 18, a fantastic opportunity to experience the world of work and develop practical skills and experience across a range of jobs.

ma5

This programme is unique in terms of the partnership approach it takes with local businesses who work along with the Council. Together they provide valuable work experience opportunities for pupils through a one day a week placement throughout the school year. This ensures that young people have the opportunity to access a diverse range of work experience such as childcare, property maintenance, greenkeeping, grounds maintenance, hairdressing, beauty, health and social care, hospitality, libraries and museums, and sports and leisure.

Further information can be provided by speaking to the relevant person in your child’s school e.g. Guidance teacher.

Craig Ivory, plastering

“I like learning new things and asking questions on how things are done. I also like getting a shot at plastering. I feel like the guys I work with push me to learn new things and ask lots of questions because they know I am really interested. I have gained skills in how to work in an environment with new people and also lots about the trade that I am interested in. I have learnt how to communicate with people who may not be happy about the job that has been done. I think if I made a good impression with my work ethics, the boss may find out and give me a chance of a Modern Apprentice that I really want to achieve.”