Primary 4 Home Learning 05.06.2020

Good morning everyone. It’s Friday! Well done for all of your hard work this week. I think Space week has been a huge success. I have learned lots so I hope you have too. Next week our theme will be Japan because this was the most popular choice when I asked you last week.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Mrs Cryans x

We usually begin our Friday Mornings with some activities and play. You could build, create, draw, role play. It’s up to you. Try to take time to do this today.

Health and Wellbeing

We have taken part in lots of Space themed workouts this week. Why don’t you choose your favourite one to do today?

• This is a link to some Space themed Cosmic Yoga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9W8iV4AJYQ

• Name workout – Instead of spelling your name, have a go at spelling out your space themed spelling words. You don’t have to do them all. Just choose a few, otherwise you will be exhausted.

your-name-workout-kids

• Have a go at this Space themed workout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6gXC20m_ic

• Have a go at some Space themed yoga this morning. There are lots of poses to choose from. Could you make up your own Space themed yoga routine?

Mindfulness task

You can choose any way you wish to be mindful today.

Let me know if you can create a new strategy that we haven’t tried.

Listening and Talking

On Monday you watched a video from the International Space Station – Harmony, Tranquility and Unity. Today you can choose one of the other 3 videos to watch and discuss with someone at home.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/main/suni_iss_tour.html

Social Studies

Today we are learning about the Solar System. Did you listen to the wee song I asked you to the other day? I can always remember facts easier if they are in a song that I can sing.

We are going on a Solar System Fact Hunt. Try your best to answer the questions and read any sources carefully.

Fact Hunt

You can use the internet, any books you may have or these fact cards to find your answers.

Fact Cards

Design

Today you have been learning about the planets in the Solar System. Now it’s your chance to design your own. Take your time and think carefully about your design.

t-l-52944-design-your-own-planet-activity-sheet_ver_2

STEM

This afternoon you are going to make a rocket in a different way. This time you are going to need an empty squeezy bottle.

Here is the science behind the idea;

Think about a space rocket taking off. The rocket’s action is to push down on the ground with the force of it’s engines, the equal upwards force pushes the rocket up or if you think about air coming out of a balloon, the air is being forced downwards yet the balloon flies upwards.

In the case of our squeezy bottle rockets, as you squeeze the bottle, air is forced out of the straw and pushes against whatever you have sealing the top of the larger straw, this force causes the straw to “fly” through the air.

HOW TO MAKE A SQUEEZY BOTTLE ROCKET

Materials

• Empty Squeezy water bottles
  • Cardboard
  • Straws
  • Scissors
  • Glue/sellotape
  • Blue tack
  • Plasticine

.

INSTRUCTIONS

FOR THE BOTTLE

Lift up the sports cap and push in half a straw, seal around it with blu tack.

Squeeze the bottle and make sure air is coming out of the top of the straw, not the sides.

FOR THE ROCKET

Draw and cut out a cardboard rocket.

Seal one end of a larger straw than the one in the bottle with sellotape.

Attach the rocket onto one side of the straw.

Just for fun

I’m not sure if it will be sunny enough to try this today or not. If you don’t try it today you could try it another time. Sorry the pictures are a bit blurry. I can’t seem to get them any clearer. I will put another version on Google Classroom, but it won’t let me put it on here.

Have a lovely weekend everyone!