Please read each question carefully so you understand fully what is being asked of you and the type of operation which should be used.
Each answer should show all workings and include a sentence answer. This task should be completed and returned to school by Thursday.
- It is estimated that the iceberg the Titanic hit was 60 feet above the water. If you can only see 1/5 of an iceberg above the water how big was the iceberg altogether?
- The Titanic had 20 lifeboats on her. There were 2 wooden cutter lifeboats that could hold 40 people each, 10 wooden lifeboats that could hold 65 people each and 8 collapsible life boats that could hold 47 people each. How many passengers could the lifeboats hold altogether?
- The look out on the Titanic first saw the iceberg at 11.40pm on April 14th. The first distress rocket was fired at 12.45am April 15th. How long did it take before the order to fire the rocket was given?
- The order to launch the lifeboats was given at 12.05am and 30 minutes later the first life boat was launched. What time was the first life boat launched?
- Challenge Question: There were 4 people in a 3rd class cabin on the Titanic. Passenger 1 brought – 3 pairs of trousers, 6 pairs of pants, 3 shirts and 6 socks. Passenger 2 brought – 4 pairs of trousers, 7 pairs of pants, 5 shirts and 7 pairs of socks. Passenger 3 brought 9 pairs of trousers, 10 pairs of pants, 5 shirts and 4 pairs of socks and passenger 4 brought 6 pairs of trousers, 2 pairs of pants, 4 shirts and 2 pairs of socks.
How many of each item did all the room mates pack?