🪐 Wednesday 27th May 👩🏼‍🚀

Good morning!  Yet another sunny day yesterday, haven’t we been lucky recently! ☀️  Did you see on the main blog that if any of you are needing extra jotters or pencils that they can be collected by an adult from the school next Tuesday?  I just thought I would mention it here in case you missed it, as there were quite a few announcements on the main blog yesterday. 📚✏️

👏🏼 A big well done to yesterday’s Sumdog winners! ZM, MM, NM and EB all won 200 coins yesterday for their efforts on Sumdog – let’s see who it will be today! 💰

Literacy:

As always, on Wednesdays we practise our comprehension skills! 🔎

Wednesday 27th May

Comprehension

I can explore the features of a non-fiction text.

Warm Up:

Normally to warm us up before our comprehension task we practise our spelling words of the week, but seeing as we were off on Monday we missed our spelling lesson.  Therefore I have set up a Sumdog spelling challenge for you all to have a go at today. The target is only 40 words so you should all be able to achieve it! 🦸🏻‍♀️🦸🏽

Main Task:

In the last of this series of 3 lessons on non-fiction writing, today we are going to be reading a fact-file about Australia. 🇦🇺

Here are this week’s questions:

Understanding Questions

1. Where is the Great Barrier Reef?
  2. What sort of climate does most of Australia have?
  3. How many people live in Australia?
  4. What language do most people speak?

Language Questions

1. The Great Barrier Reef is ‘just off the coastline’. Does this mean it is near the coastline or a long way off?
fertile an area of coral, the top of which can sometimes be seen just above the sea.
drought land which can produce a large number of good quality crops.
cyclone a long period when there is little or no rain.
coral reef a violent tropical storm that consists of wind moving in a circular direction.

Information Questions

1. How do you know that Australia is an island?
  2. Where do you think most of the food is grown in Australia? Why?
  3. Where do you think most of the people in Australia live? Explain your answer.
  4. What other information could the writer have included which you would find interesting?
  5. Would you like to visit Australia or not? Give reasons for your answer.

Extension:

🌍  Last year we witnessed the devastating effect that climate change is having on Australia, culminating in the Australian bushfires.  Can you create a poster encouraging people to be more environmentally friendly?  Your poster could provide suggestions of ways that we can help the environment or facts about climate change. 🌱
Here are some posters I found online to give you some inspiration:

Maths

Warm Up: Mental Maths

1. Make 5,389 10 times bigger.
  2. Use the > or < symbol to compare these two numbers: 64,947 ___ 28,689
  3. Write the next even number after 7,836
  4. What is the difference between 635 and 676?
  5. Round 2,364 to the nearest 100.
  6. Write twelve thousand and nineteen digits.
  7. If I spend £13.12 how much change will I get from £20?
  8. 3,291 + 304
  9. Double 415.
  10. What is the next multiple of 4 after 28?
  11. What is 210 less than 2,546?
  12. If I have a £10 note, a £5 note, five £1 coins, a 20p, two 10p’s and a 2p how much do I have in total?
  13. 50,000 + 7,000 + 600 + 2
  14. What comes next? 88,990    88,890    88,790    88,690
  15. What is 48 divided by 8?
  16. The date is Wednesday the 27th of May. What will be the date next Wednesday?

Main Task: Mental Subtraction

27.05.20         Subtraction

I can use a variety of mental strategies to help me with subtraction problems.

Similar to yesterday, next week we will be moving on to formal subtraction so today I will just be giving you a variety of tasks which you can solve through whichever mental strategy you find the easiest. 👍🏼

Activity 1: 2-digit number, with bridging

Activity 2: Multiples of 10, with bridging

Activity 3: Near Multiples of 100

Traffic Light today’s work and leave a comment to say how you found subtracting mentally today. 🚦

Extension:

Choose one of the Topmarks games to practise your subtraction skills or head over to Sumdog to work on your mental maths speed and accuracy!

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/7-11-years/addition-and-subtraction

👨‍🚀   For any budding astronauts out there The European Space Agency are publishing a series of astronaut training videos for children to get involved with. The first activity looks like so much fun – click the link to find out more! https://www.esa.int/Education/Expedition_Home/Challenge_1_Nimble_Navigation

🚀  Plus, if you are allowed to stay up, you can watch a rocket being launched into space tonight!  The SpaceX Falcon 9, along with two American astronauts, is heading to the International Space Station!  The launch happens at 9:30pm – you can watch all the action by clicking this link: https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive.  It will pass the UK at around 9:45 and travel from west to east.  It will look like a bright light moving in the sky – I wonder if any of you will spot it!  I’ll certainly be looking out for it!  🔭

Have a Wonderful Wednesday!

Miss Donaldson 👽