Head Teacher’s Blog – Friday 3rd February 2017

It’s been a while since I last added a Head Teacher’s Blog to the school website.  I will make it a belated New Year’s Resolution to try and blog more often!

January has been a very full month in our wee school and it is hard to believe it has zipped past already.

Enrolment of the next intake of Primary 1 pupils who will begin in August 2017 took place in the second week of term.  22 children from our catchment area enrolled for next session – our biggest intake in a few years!  This will bring our school role to approx. 145 pupils in August.

The nursery children have had special visitors this week – 10 little eggs to look after and hatch into chicks.  The children were excited to welcome the chicks this week and are amazed at how quickly they have grown.  Their learning has centred around caring for the chicks – the children wrote their own rules for taking care of them.  The chicks will stay with us for another week until they are big enough to go to a local farm where they will live in a free-range environment.

img_0061The children in P1-7 have been enjoying ‘Art Focus Fortnight’ which ended today.  Everytime I have visited a class throughout the week, the children were painting, creating or learning about art by focussing on well know artists.  Each child has created a canvas inspired by their work and every class except P6/7 have also produced a framed print too.

Instead of a second piece of artwork, P6/7 were set the task by Mrs. Parker (Senior CLD Worker) to create a piece of video art as part of a ‘Voluntary Action Fund’ project called ‘What My Mother Means to Me’

Mrs. Parker and Mrs. Byrne from Calderhead High School worked together with pupils from S3 to offer a ‘Special Effects Make Up’ tutorial for our pupils in P5/6 and P4/5.

img_0065

All of the work from our Art Focus Fortnight will be displayed during our Art Exhibition on Friday 10th February 2017.  We hope you can join us.

img_0060

January has also seen some building work in our playground.  Thanks to an Awards for All Grant of £9600 plus donations collected from non-uniform days, we have purchased an Outdoor Classroom for our playground.  We are so pleased with it – we are just waiting for a final panel to new be supplied to finish it off and the children will be able to start using it.

img_0066

We’ve also purchased new outdoor games and storage and the children were very exciting when these were being put out for them to use.

Last Friday, the Parent Council held their annual Family Film Night.  I would like to extend my gratitude to them for organising a hugely successful evening and also to the friends, families and relatives who came along and supported the school.  The children who attended were extremely well behaved and a great night was had by all.

Next week, I will be completing ‘Learning Visits’ to every class in the school to see their ‘Taught Writing’ work.  I am looking forward to seeing the wonderful work of the children and staff!

Don’t forget that the Parent Council Valentine’s Discos take pace on Tuesday 7th February 2017.  Nursery to P2 from 5.30pm-6.30pm and P3-7 from 6.45pm-8pm.  The cost of entry is £1.50 which is payable on entry.

Have a lovely weekend.