Mr. Clark’s Head Teacher’s Blog – Wednesday 1st March 2017

It’s hard to believe that it’s the 1st of March already – where have the weeks gone?  I am pleased to see the beginning of lighter nights and the signs of Spring as shoots of daffodils begin to pop through.  However, the weather is still chilly so I would recommend that pupils still come to school drested for winter weather.

Wednesday is our Celebrating Success Assembly day where we share the achievements of the children in and out of school.  Today we were celebrating the children who had achieved Green, Silver or Gold for excellent behaviour or hard work.  The class teachers announced the children who earned the ‘Stane Superstar’ trophy, the 100% attendance for February letters were issued to pupils and we celebrated P7s achievement in reaching level 3 of HeartStart training.  I also taught the children a new song – ‘When Seeds Grow’ in preparation for our Easter Service at the end of the month.  At the end of assembly, I revealed who had earned the ‘Secret Student’ prize by being a super audience member during assembly.

We had a short section during assembly about World Book Day today.  While we aren’t  dressing up this year as it’s been such a busy period in school, we will still mark the occasion by having some lessons in class – the children will all get a £1 World Book Day voucher to take home tomorrow too.

I enjoyed being with the children at interval time today and chatted to lots of children about their favourite book following our assembly.  It would seem the most popular remains Roald Dahl!

After interval, it was time for Tea with Mr. Clark.  It’s been a couple of weeks since the last one due to Health Week and the holidays, so there was quite a few children attending.  We had a picnic in the hall and the children enjoyed a snack and drink while chilling out on the blankets and cushions.  This is the reward for pupils who have been Stane Superstars

After lunchtime, I was working with three children from each class for a ‘Head Teacher’s Learning Conversation’ looking at Maths work.    The children brought their maths work for me to look at – I was very impressed with the quality of the children’s work and the standard of their discussion .  The children could reflect really well on what they were learning and how they liked to work.  I will feed this back to the teachers to allow them to ensure their maths lessons meet the children’s needs as much as possible.

Our new football team played in the Cluster Friendly today at Calderhead High School against Alexander Peden Primary.  Our children had a great first half, with the  coach from the other team commenting on how well the team played together.  Unfortunalty we didn’t win, but the children played their best and displayed excellent sportsman behaviour.  Thank you to Mr. McKenna, our janitor, for accompanying the children and coaching the team.

The Parent Council met this evening and we had a very full discussion about the upcoming fundraising events, including the Bingo Night at  the end of the month.  We also spent time discussing the Pupil Equity fund and how this money could be best used to ensure excellence and equity for all children.  We also started to discuss the school roll for next year and some of the options that we may have for different class formations in August.

A reminder for Cross Country children to bring their kit for tomorrow’s after school club.  Mrs. Scott will be taking the club tomorrow as I have to attend a meeting after school.