Managing my learning!

B. Managing My Learning

Activity 1

Complete the table below to identify and reflect on those factors and plan actions for each.

Recognition/ Reflection Action
What helps my learning? How can I utilise this?
Example: “Discussing the topic with others”
  • Set up a study group of like-minded peers
  • Engage with the online community
Working/studying on my own – Set time aside where I solely just study on my own
Studying with others – Get a group of friends together studying the same course and find a place to study for example in the library
Discussing tasks and topics with other students – Communicate with others via email or social networking sites- Meet with other students on my course and share ideas and thoughts
Taking notes in lectures and when doing further reading – Print off the power points prior to the lectures so I can take notes more effectively- When reading have a pen and paper ready and write down relevant and interesting information that could be useful for tasks and assignments

Recognition/Reflection Action
What hinders my learning? How can I address this factor?
Example: “I’m easily distracted”
  • Study in a place where distractions are minimal
  • Read lecture notes before the lecture and then take notes lectures to keep me focused
Getting distracted by my phone – Turn my phone off while I am studying
Using books to enhance my learning – As we have been given reading lists I will use these as a start to get my self into reading books- I will then start looking for further information from other books
I do not ask questions maybe when I should – If I feel that there is an important question that I do not know the answer to and cannot find the answer, I will email or speak to the lecture relevant
I do not take many breaks – I will make sure I allow my self regular breaks to take my mind of what I have been studying