How did your gender affect you when you were a child?

As a child in primary school I never seen gender as affecting me or other children, I never seen the split between male and female. Now when I think back I can see it, I can see the split that was made in various ways. We were told to line up in to separate lines one for girls and one for boys. Girls always went first for lunch. When playing outside boys would play football and the girls would play horses. For sports day the races would be split into boys races and girl races. Boys would also get in more trouble than girls even if it was for the same thing. These things never affected me as a child however I feel that if we were mixed boys and girls for these then we would have the experience of mixing more with the boys and have the opportunity to develop friendships with them. Do not get me wrong there were opportunities for boys and girls to mix for example when put into your ability groups for maths and spelling. I do feel that that was not enough and we would have benefited from a more social aspect of boys and girls mixing for example the boys and girls going for lunch at the same time.

2 thoughts on “How did your gender affect you when you were a child?

1. I agree that it’s only on reflection that we can see these changes and how they impacted upon us. But I can’t help thinking that we were already thinking that way due to home and societal influences. As teachers we will have to strive for equality but also portray that within the wider community! great post!!

Reply
  2. It’s so strange how we can’t see the divide between the sexes at the time, but looking back it is so obvious! My school done both single sex races at sports day and mixed races, so we all got a chance to interact! At the time though none of us ever realised why. Could be a good thing though, more chance of winning for the girls haha! I definitely agree that only mixing with a few subjects is not enough, it’s good to work with different people to push you on! Lauren 🙂

Reply