Equality and Diversity

Equality and Diversity are very sensitive and legal issues and they are required for every professional.  As a person, everybody deserves to have respect as it is also considered a polite way of dealing with each other. Today, I took part inequality and diversity test online and read lots of issues which are vital to be acknowledged in our society. We are living in a multicultural and vibrant society. As a student and future professional, I found this test very informing and beneficial to my development.

Goals for 1PP1b

GOALS FOR THIS COMING PLACEMENT (LINKED WITH SPR):
These may come from the areas for development noted above. Your goals and references to the SPR should be drawn from your reflection on your development needs. You should discuss your identified goals with your tutor prior to the start of your block placement.

You are advised to draw at least three goals from the three different sections of SPR.
Goals (Please provide SPR code e.g. 3.2.2.) Provide SPR extended goal. E.g. “Develop positive relationships and positive behaviour strategies.” Justification: Explain why you have chosen this goal and how you will achieve it.
1.
3.1.1

plan appropriately for effective teaching and in order to meet the needs of all learners, including learning in literacy, numeracy, health and wellbeing and skills for learning, life and work.

Justification
Planning is not an easy task to be achieved in a short time. I will discuss with my mentor about my observation of children learning abilities and understanding and how I can meet all learner needs in my planning. Planning differentiated lessons will also build my confidence during placement.

2.

3.1.2

communicate appropriately with all learners, and promote competence and confidence in literacy;

Justification

Communication is my weakness in the classroom, and I found myself repeating when delivering the lesson. I will be reading more literature and communicating regularly within the class in a clear and slow pace so there is a good understanding of my teaching.

3.
3.2.2

apply the school’s positive behaviour policy, including strategies for understanding and preventing bullying;

Justification

I am impressed by the behaviour strategies and have seen using them effectively by CT. I will apply these strategies during 1PP1b and there will be positive relationships in the classroom.

Knowledge about Language

What is language? It is a very important aspect to learn how to develop an   engaging environment for me as a multilingual speaker. Speaking and listening an additional language in a different country was a tricky process for me in early days. I personally feel, that English is a language which could be complicated in spoken and written  tasks. Language is a thought process of learning new words, pronouncing,  and communicating in dialogue and interacting with each other in day to day life. Language is a way of expressing your identity and survive in the world of work and everyday life. I will be developing my skills in more depth about teaching English as an additional language for some children and barriers they face in my educational journey.

Today, I am also going to explore what to look for if a child has been successfully met an outcome as a teacher. Firstly, I will be looking at the experiences and outcomes in Curriculum for Excellence.

Listening and Talking Experiences and outcomes
I regularly select and listen to or watch texts which I enjoy and find interesting, and I can explain why I prefer certain sources.
I regularly select subject, purpose, format and resources to create texts of my choice. LIT 1-01a / LIT 2-01a
Reading
I regularly select and read, listen to or watch texts which I enjoy and find interesting, and I can explain why I prefer certain texts and authors. LIT 1-11a / LIT 2-11a
Writing
I enjoy creating texts of my choice and I regularly select subject, purpose, format and resources to suit the needs of my audience. LIT 1-20a / LIT 2-20a
https://education.gov.scot/Documents/literacy-english-eo.pdf (Accessed 22/01/19)

The child should be reading and listening to different texts at second level according to experiences and outcomes as stated in CFE. As a teacher I would plan more lessons with open ended questions where the child can write or talk more that I could not ask directly. Organize a talk show or plan a lesson for sharing a text with peers which he/she enjoyed and feel happy to share his/her feelings and reading to others. Assessment is a continuous process and as a teacher I will be focus on ongoing success of children developing their skills and using in daily life experiences. This action will give the child the sense of being confident and successful learner. I will be also looking at the bench marks for achievement of a level. Bench marks are for clarity for what a learner needs to know and support for teachers and practitioners.

Listening and speaking :  Selects spoken texts regularly for enjoyment or to find information for a specific purpose. Explains preferences.
Reading :   Selects texts regularly for enjoyment or to find information for a specific purpose. • Explains preferences for texts, authors or sources with supporting detail.
Writing : Creates texts regularly for a range of purposes and audiences selecting appropriate genre, form, structure and style.

https://education.gov.scot/improvement/documents/literacyenglishbenchmarks.pdf   (Accessed 22/01/19)
As a teacher, I will continue to work on ongoing progress and support child to achieve more by challenging in further curricular activities..

Racism is on the go

Why we are judged on the base of colour, where you came from and diversity as in cultural identity? Do we all not have the same need for respect, safety and identity?

These are the questions, if we ask our self and how we can make the society a better place to be for every human. In our lecture, we were given a deep insight of racism in the past, current and long term impact on our society. Equal pay, equal rights, injustices, punished for to be different in skin colour, slavery and disrespect was a major issues in past. I feel that we should not act in a way and keep moral values of respecting other people regardless of any color and race. What is racism? Is it just not accepting the person due to be different from you in look or our views about what the person identity? Racism can be identified in social, emotional, physical and accepting people in a community in real life experiences. e.

Is racism not any more and people have moved on to the concept of treating equal regardless of their colour, status and diversity? Not really true, there are and will be always hate crimes and social injustice. As a future professional, I would like to maintain openness and honesty and listen to children and young people views about what they felt and how they can build more positive relationships.

Dancing an opportunity to engage

This morning, I had an experience of dancing with group of education students. As I had experience of supporting students with teacher guidance in schools but not learning myself as a student. I thoroughly enjoyed my input from the teacher and I felt that she was an inspiration to me to teach and enjoy dancing in coming years. In the beginning, I was expecting that the teacher might ask me to perform in a perfect manner and show what skills I have….

Dancing can be learned at different ages and stages which is a such a flexible way to get involved in it. In schools, dancing can be used as a part of CFE outcomes in expressive arts, drama , physical education and religious and moral education. I am excited to teach and learn to dance and explore the curricular areas with children and young peoples. Dancing is expressing ourselves in a group and physical movements with peers in a constructive and well mannered way. Health and emotional well being can be also maintained by giving children and young people and an opportunity of involving in a community. Children can perform in a Scottish country dancing or school shows. During my dancing moments, I felt achieving something what I have never done in a group of people and introduced me new ways to understand how important physical fitness is for my own health and well being. Dancing can be used as learning about spatial awareness and in mathematics about grouping. Cultural diversity can also be celebrated by using different songs and clips, which was an amazing way to include children in lessons and activities. Dancing fed me language of movement and skills in expressions and educational value. I made some new friends and increased my self confidence.

Lastly, I am excited to learn more about other curricular areas and making links in classroom activities in future. I am also looking forward to upcoming lessons to make me curious, how one activity can open the ways to explore more….

Structural Inequality 18/09/18

Last week I attended a seminar which was based on values module. It was very informative and interesting group work. We were split into four groups and my table was given a pack with resources. We were not allowed to look in the pack until we listened to the instructions.

In our pack we had lot of  resources such as paper clips, coloured paper, pencils, scissors, and cello tape etc. We were asked to use  all the resources and prepare some beneficial information for the new students at university.  First we discussed what could be done, but later we changed our plan and made icebreaker game by using different colour paper, scissors and pens.

All groups presented their finished work as a team and we were given scores in the end. My group was a winner but realised that we have done little work and had most resources than everyone.  This made me think. How is possible as we were happy to win but there was doubt? How?

At the end teacher gave us the reason for winning and losing, which made me think that how a person will feel if there is injustice in system. Structural inequalities can arise advantage for some people and disadvantage for some others. If there is a deliberate inequality in the system, which has happened in past years as slavery and racism, can raise injustice and irresponsible behaviour in society towards each other. Everybody should be treated on individual basis and personality. For example all children and young people are not same and we should respect and support them on individual basis. Also If one child have all the attention resources and others have less and no support. There is a ideal example  of structural inequality in classroom which gave me valuable lesson for my professional development in coming years.

Sometimes we as person will have a lot of opportunities but compare yourself to other fellows who are unfortunate will miss, due to social, emotional or any other barriers.

The structural inequilty can build up hatred , crime and  unjustified thinking and behaviour in society.

Continuous practice

Teaching is what, I was grown up with in my family. My parents were teachers and I have had the motivation since childhood. After becoming a parent, I persuaded my passion as a mature student by going to college, and learned various methods of teaching and learning. I wanted to find my strengths and weaknesses by working in a different country.

Next, worked with children and young people from birth to eighteen. I have worked as learning and care assistant in special needs and main stream schools, Early year practitioner and Bilingual assistant for 5 years. Working with children and young people I learn from each other how we develop positive relationships by respecting various culture, beliefs and rights of children. There was always a sense of belonging and commitment for children and young people and I wanted to keep going. I perceive a flare of  motivating and inspiring learners, and interpersonal skills in me what I could offer in coming years, by gaining more qualifications.

I have the experience of supporting children social, emotional, physical development and wish to do more in teaching.  Every day is different for a children and young person,  and for us too and lets work together and make the world a better place to be.

My personal view about a teacher, for a student is not only limited to classroom; it will expand to form an improved society and community around the world and I am starting this life changing mission!

Welcome to your WordPress eportfolio

Welcome to your ePortfolio. This is where you will document and share your professional thoughts and experiences over the course of your study at the University of Dundee and beyond that when you begin teaching. You have the control over what you want to make public and what you would rather keep on a password protected page.

The ePortfolio in the form of this WordPress blog allows you to pull in material from other digital sources:

You can pull in a YouTube video:

You can pull in a Soundcloud audio track:

You can upload an image or pull one in from Flickr or any other image sharing site.

Teacher, Lorraine Lapthorne conducts her class in the Grade Two room at the Drouin State School, Drouin, Victoria

You can just about pull in anything that you think will add substance and depth to your writing.