How to avoid killing creativity

How to avoid killing creativity

I found the pre-reading tasks this week very interesting. Listening to Ken Robinsons ‘Do schools kill creativity?” (2006) gave me a new perspective on creativity. To me growing up and going through school creativity meant if you could draw and if you couldn’t you weren’t creative. Just as black and white as that and I had convinced myself that I had fallen into the second category. However, after listening to Sir Ken speaking, I realise that it is not the case. Sir ken speaks of children not being frightened of being wrong but as they grow up that is no longer the case. I feel that happened to me through secondary school as I was not prepared to be wrong leaving me with little creative capacity.

For my development, I need to get a better understanding of what creativity is. My plan of action is to use my ‘art wall’ so far I have gathered resources from lectures to help expand my knowledge.

Reading through ‘What are creativity skills’ (2020) has helped me to understand what it takes to be creative. Open-mindedness, problem-solving, curiosity and imagination are 4 key skills pointed out that promote creativity.  When planning lessons in the future I will make sure the tasks allow for the children to incorporate these skills

Drama

Working through the Drama workshop helped give me a better understanding of Freeze frames. After last week I felt overwhelmed by all of the different drama conventions and how do implement them. I feel I have gained a better understanding of how to use freeze frames within the classrooms, such as what questions to ask children when using them and how to get other children involved whilst children are in a freeze-frame.

Charanga

I found this very useful as Julie said it is great for those who wouldn’t be confident enough to take a music lesson on their own. Knowing that I would have access to lesson plans through the scheme makes me feel a lot more confident in my ability to lead a music lesson. Being a total beginner with the music I learned a lot about the actual content on Charanga as well as how to work the site. Going forward I feel it would be beneficial to play around more and get more familiar with the site so come placement time I will be ready to use it.

TED. (2006, February). Ken Robinson: Do Schools kill creativity? [Video] https://www.ted.com/talks/sir_ken_robinson_do_schools_kill_creativity?language=en

Integrated Arts Week 1

Today we had our first session for integrated arts. My understanding of the arts is very little. During primary school, I used to a variety of dance; ballet, tap, jazz and street. As well as playing the double bass for a number of years, playing as part of the North Ayrshire schools orchestra. However by the time I had left primary school I had stopped all of these and was not an avid artist/ drawer. My only current connection to the arts would be music as I listen every day. Starting this module I feel a bit anxious but excited to improve on an area that I would class as a weakness.

Today we had inputs about drama and music. I found the Drama input very useful and thought-provoking. We learned about different Drama Conventions and ‘Tools of the Trade’ in regard to teaching. As the session progressed, I was able to push my self out of my comfort zone and get involved with the different techniques. A drama convention that I found particularly interesting was the ‘Thought Tunnel’ not only can this be used for drama but can be used to spark conversation and debate around topics, I feel this would be very good for discussing controversial topics as it would allow for both perspectives to be seen.

The music input started with the role of music in the curriculum. I must admit that prior to today’s session I would have had a closed mind towards the place music held and now can see that the benefits are much wider and that it is not just singing and playing instruments.  We explored one of the main areas of music, Listening. When listening to music we looked at what implicit responses the music gave us. I found it interesting to hear how the same music provoked such different responses from others. To end the session we listened to a piece of music and when it came time to discuss I was surprised at how we all had the same idea just by the music that was played. After today’s session, I am feeling more confident and I’m looking forward to next week.

Den Building Reflection

Yes, there was a group leader, this leader was not chosen. The leader stepped up and took control of the situation. The leader started conversations on what ideas the group had and allowed all members of the group equal time to share thoughts and ideas insuring that all members of the group felt included. This resulted in a positive ethos for the group as they all knew what goal they were working towards and the group members were working for each other. For me the most challenging thing about working in the group was at the start group members all had different ideas and when dismissing and choosing someone else’s ideas I was conscious and aware that someone else may feel unvalued and may feel their ideas were not listened to, but through conversations and reassurance as a group, we were able to make all team members feel valued. I think the group could have explained a little more clearly as they never discussed the planning stage of their den. However, I think communication would have been different if this was in a classroom and not to your friends and peers. I feel that as I was outside my communication was much more laid back and informal. Changes that I made when explaining could be my body language and how much I showed rather than said. Fortunately, the environment wasn’t to noise however if this was the case you may wait for that noise to pass or use strategies, so you are not competing against the noise. To avoid the environment distracting you can strategically place children where you are the focus or where there is little else to look at. The most challenging part of the negotiations was the impact it had on the former team as