Week 2 How to avoid killing creativity

How to avoid killing creativity

I found the pre-reading tasks this week very interesting. Listening to Ken Robinsons ‘Do schools kill creativity?” (2006) gave me a new perspective on creativity. To me growing up and going through school creativity meant if you could draw and if you couldn’t you weren’t creative. Just as black and white as that and I had convinced myself that I had fallen into the second category. However, after listening to Sir Ken speaking, I realise that it is not the case. Sir ken speaks of children not being frightened of being wrong but as they grow up that is no longer the case. I feel that happened to me through secondary school as I was not prepared to be wrong leaving me with little creative capacity.

For my development, I need to get a better understanding of what creativity is. My plan of action is to use my ‘art wall’ so far I have gathered resources from lectures to help expand my knowledge.

Reading through ‘What are creativity skills’ (2020) has helped me to understand what it takes to be creative. Open-mindedness, problem-solving, curiosity and imagination are 4 key skills pointed out that promote creativity.  When planning lessons in the future I will make sure the tasks allow for the children to incorporate these skills

Drama

Working through the Drama workshop helped give me a better understanding of Freeze frames. After last week I felt overwhelmed by all of the different drama conventions and how do implement them. I feel I have gained a better understanding of how to use freeze frames within the classrooms, such as what questions to ask children when using them and how to get other children involved whilst children are in a freeze-frame.

Charanga

I found this very useful as Julie said it is great for those who wouldn’t be confident enough to take a music lesson on their own. Knowing that I would have access to lesson plans through the scheme makes me feel a lot more confident in my ability to lead a music lesson. Being a total beginner with the music I learned a lot about the actual content on Charanga as well as how to work the site. Going forward I feel it would be beneficial to play around more and get more familiar with the site so come placement time I will be ready to use it.

TED (2007) Do Schools kill Creativity? Sir Ken Robinson. 6 January Available at: https://youtu.be/iG9CE55wbtY (Accessed 13 October 2020)

Education Scotland (2020) What are Creativity Skills? Available at:https://education.gov.scot/media/ciaevgez/whatarecreativityskills.pdf (Accessed 13 October 2020)