Week 8 Dance and The Visual Arts

Dance

Today’s dance session again looked at warmups. I was happy to see some of the examples used were ones that I had seen well out on placement. This is a massive help as I now get the understanding of ‘WHY’ these certain warmups have been used prior to certain activities.  I feel that this has developed my confidence and creativity when it comes to creating my own warmups and that I will be able to link these to topics and towards the main learning.  The People to People warm-up was one that I was not familiar with and to further my development in this area ill be sure to use it whilst on placement as it gets children working together and thinking about their bodies.

I found the section about different stimuli such as pictures being used to inspire dance very thought-provoking. To start with I couldn’t see how this would work and thought that music would be the stimuli for dance. However, seeing Zara’s excellent demonstration it makes sense. Especially with the Christmas tree and the dance idea’s that came with it. I think that children would enjoy this and that it could be part of a sequence of lessons that start of with children creating their drawing followed on by children then creating a dance and finally adding music to it to make a choreographed.

Creative partnerships develop collaborations and exchanges through bilateral relationships. Once again reinforces the value of arts in the curriculum as with creative partnerships you can tap into all curriculum areas. Creative partnerships can involve parents, staff, noon classroom-based staff, visiting specialists (music or dance teacher). Creative partnerships with parents build strong relationships, which in turn increases the likelihood of engagement with parents in their child’s learning. Creative partnerships also allow staff to learn through continued professional development. As I develop as a student teacher, I will be sure to take full advantage of creative partnerships as not only do they benefit the children I will also benefit as I continue to learn new skills and develop my knowledge in regards to the arts. A positive of creative partnerships is that it gives children an incentive and allows children to have experiences that will stay with them and experiences they would not have a chance to experience before. After this input, I have identified communication as a huge skill that is needed to create and develop creative partnerships with other agencies and that is needed throughout teaching.

In today’s Visual Arts in Primary Education session we looked at Rod Taylor Model of Assessment in the Visual Arts. Find below the questions asked in this model.

As some teachers struggle with what questions to ask children and some children will struggle to articulate their thoughts. This allows for teachers to ask the right questions allowing the children to do the talking.  Using this form I asked and answered these questions:

PROCESS

What materials, tools, processes and techniques did the artist use?

FORM

Does one colour predominate or do two or more have equal significance?

CONTENT

What is the subject matter of the work, what is it about?

MOOD

Does it capture a mood, feeling or emotion which you have already experienced?

I answered these question in this video: https://youtu.be/q5LFozfohNk

Finally when Diarmuid showed us the video of his son’s artwork something that struck me was that it all seemed to focus on the end result and that there was no consideration of the process. To expand further the reason for the painting of the Scotland Flag was because it was St Andrews day and was probably used in a display, not because the children were learning about different painting techniques. The point I am making is that art seemed to be a way to do the learning but was never the learning. Obviously, I was not present during these lessons, but I just felt that was the reoccurring theme throughout the video.