Week 10 Performing the Dance

Create 

We created this dance based on the theme Christmas. A number of people drew pictures of Christmas, it was up to them what they wanted to draw, and the results varied. We then took the drawings and used them as a visual stimulus. we turned the drawings into dance moves, for example, a drawing of a Christmas present inspired the opening section of the dance. We then split into groups of 6-8 and create our won dance. We used the 10 basic skills of dance (Add picture of these moves) and were given a random order in which these moves were to be performed. As a group, we discussed moves that everyone felt comfortable with and were happy to perform.

Perform

Here is a video of me doing the dance. https://youtu.be/szPIXR9MvuE

Appreciate 

When doing the dance I appreciate that most of the group dressed up in Christmas themed outfits, turned their camera’s on and tried their best! I appreciate that as using Brookfield’s model of reflection and looking through my colleague’s lenses, I see how this may have been taunting for some people in the group and that they had worked really hard to practice the dance.

Evaluate

Skills I’ve developed through this process

Creativity, when creating the dance I felt as if I was in the flow state and was able to be very creative. I felt that I was able to lead a group discussion and give thought-out suggestions and ideas to what we could do. Ambitious, although we choose moves that everyone was comfortable in we also made sure that our routine was challenging so we would push ourselves and create a better quality dance. Confidence, I feel I was able to develop this through practising the dance and performing it with my team. I now have more confidence to take part in dance and to facilitate dance as a teacher.

Brookfield, S. (1998) ‘Critically Reflective Practice’, Journal of Continuing Education In the Health Professions, 18(4), pp.197-205. doi: 10.1002/chp.1340180402 (Accessed: 16 December  2020)