Week 6 Making and Paint Brush and Body Percussion

I enjoyed today’s painting input and found it relaxing and calming. This would have been the first time I have painted since I was in 3rd year at school and had art every week. I forgot how calming it was and how it allows you to express your creativity. I enjoyed making my own paintbrush as I have never done this before and was unsure how I was going to make it. I felt proud of my paintbrush and felt as though it ‘belonged to me rather than it being my paintbrush.

I had to use my literacy skills when doing this task as I had to listen and the label my painting. This is yet another example of how the arts transcend their own curriculum area and are seen across the different aspects of the curriculum. Doing this also required using high order thinking (BLOOM, B. S., 1956) skills of creating, firstly by creating paintbrushes then by creating different colours out of the paints we had and then finally by creating our picture.

I also gained a new perspective of ‘what can go wrong’. As a teacher looking at what could go wrong- not the painting as there is no such thing as wrong. The mess could go wrong therefore put measures in place to keep mess and cleaning time to a minimum e.g. use paper instead of the pallet using square when drawing to avoid paint going on surfaces. Also when painting with children I will make sure that each child has their own paint so they can mix the colours in the way they want which will allow children to get into their flow state.

I have also thought more about the use of photography as a form of assessment, not just in art but across the curriculum.  Through the use of photography, I was able to look at the different stage of my creative process and see how my painting developed.

Music and ICT

I found the idea of body percussion very interesting, especially with the current circumstances that teachers have to deal with the guidelines on the use of signing. I think this is a great way to get around this barrier as everyone has a body, it’s free and most importantly it’s fun! This is also something that most children (and adults) will do themselves anyway. I think these would great warmups as it will get the children excited to learn and is enjoyable. I also think that Warm up 3 by The Benedetti Foundation would also a could way to retain children’s attention as they must concentrate on you and repeat what you are doing and the ending would then bring the volume in the classroom down.

I found the last input today very challenging a bit confusing. I would definitely identify this as an area for development. I have little to no previous experience with pitch and the detail that we went into. Although this was challenging, I was able to learn that there are 8 notes in a scale, C is to the left of the two black keys and when teaching about this, start off with a treble clef. When teaching children I would be sure to use the Sound of Music video as it explained the content and was enjoyable and engaging to watch.

Bloom, B. S. (1956). Taxonomy of educational objectives; the classification of educational goals. New York, Longmans, Green.  Available at: https://www.uky.edu/~rsand1/china2018/texts/Bloom%20et%20al%20-Taxonomy%20of%20Educational%20Objectives.pdf  (Accessed 10 November 2020)

Nicola Benedetti (2020) General Musicianship | Warm Up 3 with Lucy Drever | Gimme 1. 18 May. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNg_MChn51M&feature=youtu.be (Accessed 10 November 2020)

Rodgers & Hammerstein (2018) “Do-Re-Mi” – THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965). August 3 Available at: https://youtu.be/drnBMAEA3AM  (Accessed 10 November 2020)