Why Teaching?

Why Teaching? I ask myself… Why Teaching?

This question of ‘Why Teaching?’ repeats over and over within my mind as I scramble to look for the answer. Why have I chosen this path in life? What do I aim to achieve by becoming a teacher?

Firstly, I feel it’s necessary to start with a brief introduction to myself as an undergraduate student on the Education course at the University of Dundee. My name is Alan Macdonald and I am hoping to become a primary school teacher.

Much of my own time in education was, in my eyes, very successful. This was due partly to the fact it shaped me from being the shy and timid only child that I was in nursery and primary, into a confident and independent citizen by the time I left high school. I felt ready to face the world.

This growth process flourished mainly because of the great teachers I had to support me in my studies. Whether that be because of a teacher’s teaching methods, their enthusiasm in their own profession, or their approach to learning as a whole. Great teachers really make the difference; a difference that I’d love to make myself someday.

My German teacher, in particular, is the person that really sourced my likening towards the idea of going into teaching. Back in 2014 she told our German class about a language scheme that believed in promoting language learning, particularly German, in young people. I was the only male pupil in an already small class of 15 people that decided to take German further. So, I really wanted to get involved in a scheme that could lead to future generations continuing language learning as I felt it was a huge issue, particularly in Scotland.

The scheme was set up by the government-funded organisation UK-German Connection who aim to bring the young people of Germany and the UK together.

UK-German Connections

UK-German Connection is dedicated to increasing contacts and understanding between young people in the UK and Germany – UK-German Connections

Being an Ambassador during 2014-15, I represented the organisation through the projects I planned within a primary school. I set up weekly classes that involved the kids at Murroes primary school learning German on a wider and more dynamic scale, with emphasise on interactive activities that challenged the norm of language learning at a primary level. I covered topics such as History, Geography and even Music within the grand scheme of teaching the kids German. Every lesson incorporated new vocabulary that related to the task of the lesson.

Having the freedom to able to create my own class plans allowed me to see my potential in going into a career in primary teaching. What made it even better was that, it was not only the kids who enjoyed my classes; I enjoyed planning, creating and presenting the classes to a group of enthusiastic children who were eager to learn more.

An example of one of my classes

To wrap up the year, the ambassadors and I attended an evaluation seminar in Berlin where all the different projects were summarised and discussed as a group and we all talked about our plans for the future. My plan was made clear by the ambassador scheme and I knew that the University of Dundee was right for me.

Looking ahead, I really can’t wait to delve deeper into my studies at the University of Dundee and really learn what it takes to become a successful educator that can shape future generations just as my teachers impacted my life successes.

Alan Macdonald

3 thoughts on “Why Teaching?

1. I really found this post interesting as it gave a real feel for how you have developed within education. The example of teaching about Berlin was excellent. I’d like to find out more about this project myself. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

Reply