I am extremely proud to announce that Wellshot Primary has been awarded their 5th Green Flag! This is largely down to the hard work, enthusiasm and commitment of Mrs Ratcliffe and our Eco Committee. In fact, Mrs Ratcliffe’s submission was hailed as an example of excellent practice and is going to be published. Well done Mrs Ratcliffe and our Eco Committee!
Here are just some of the things that we have done…
- Planted fruit trees to make a small orchard
- Writing our new Eco Code and sharing it with pupils, friends and family
- P6 and P6/5 successfully took part and gained our John Muir Awards
- Recognising food waste and how to reduce it.
- P7 visited and planted at the allotment
- P5 sustainability – Global Citizenship
- P4/3 looked after, grew and released brown trout through the Clyde in the Classroom initiative
- P2 started an committee dedicated to saving energy
- P3 raised awareness of products which we can recycle, supporting the 4 R’s – REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, RECOVER
- The children in the nurture class looked after eggs which hatched chicks with the help of Living Eggs
- Litter campaign to keep our playground tidy and the local community tidy by carrying out litter picking sessions
- Recycling bags were introduced into classrooms for paper and plastic
- Participated in the RSPB Big Garden Bird Watch
- Making bird feeders
- Road safety presentations were shown at assemblies
- Participated in Fairtrade Fortnight – organising a tuck shop and café for parents to sell fairtrade products, presentations, visiting local shopkeepers
WE HAVE BEEN BUSY! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
The programme is designed to encourage young people to make a commitment to improving their environment both in and away from school.
The Eco-Schools programme can help schools to:
- improve the school’s environment
- reduce litter and waste through recycling initiatives
- reduce energy and water use
- devise efficient ways of travelling to and from school to reduce our carbon footprints
- promote healthy lifestyles through eating and activities
- encourage active citizenship
- build strong partnerships with a variety of community groups
- develop international and global links
Click the photograph to watch a video about looking after our planet.