Plan

PROFESSIONAL ENQUIRY PLAN

As part of whole school visions, values and aims work has been done across the school to help motive and engage learners in the classwork through meeting the standards and merit system.

1. Highlight the issue
  2. Discuss with colleagues
  3. Reflect on the different areas of meeting the standards across the whole school
  4. Reflect on the different standards within music and drama
  5. Work with colleagues in the department
  6. Share with depute
  7. Implement in classroom
  8. Carry it out
  9. Measure effectiveness through direct observations, peoples views and qualitative/quantative data

Personal Reflection !

1. How is enquiry linked to the concept of teacher leadership?
  2. How are the principles of enquiry reflected in my plan?
  3. How do the various models affect my current plan?
  4. Using you draft plan, start to annotate some changes you may wish to make
  5. Share reflections with someone else at the table.

1. Enquiry is linked to teacher leadership because each professional is accountable for engaging in CLPL. CLPL opportunities provide a facilitative platform to research, challenge and can be tailored to the needs of professional review and development.
  2. Principles of enquiry are reflected in my plan because I am leading staff in applying nurturing approaches in the classroom to better outcomes for learners. Professional enquiry and leading professional development is
  3. My current plan is very stage based, it would be good to look at other models to broaden my approach but with a narrowed question

James Campbell : go and look at his blog

Recall Day

Stop Start ContinueToday started with a reflection on the last training day.

Expectations and Planning

Parking Lot: Questions

Neuroscience of learning:

The practice of writing can enhance the brain’s intake, processing, retaining and retrieving information . It promotes the brains attentive focus…boost long term memory illuminates patterns and gives the brain time for reflection , Judy Willis. 

Articulate what each of the pictures mean to me in my leadership journey so far.

I chose three pictures to represent where I am on my enquiry journey and

Connect| Extend| Challenge

What did I connect with?

Idea that I connected with the idea that enquiry is about YOUR classroom. The impact your professional actions you want to take up to empower your staff/pupils.

What did it make me think more about?

Made me think more about

What didn’t make sense or further challenge me?

Challenged my perception of what enquiry means in regards to either classroom practise or leadership practise. Your classroom is the learning Environment you create with staff or with pupils.

National practice model in regards with professional learning and teacher leadership:

It is easier to cascade a culture if you are leading enquiry with staff

Challenges of Professional Enquiry 

“Stance and Project “

What comes first?

Does your project and motivation actually challenge a stance?

Motivation/ Empowerment/Strategy/Disposition

Can you do a project without a stance?

Process of  Enquiry

Preparing-Intervening- Sense Making – Reeves and Fox 2008

Change fatigue

Ditch Change Fatigue and Embrace Continual Evolution

DIFFERENT MODELS OF PROFESSIONAL ENQUIRY 

https://professionallearning.education.gov.scot/explore/the-national-model-of-professional-learning/

https://www.gtcs.org.uk/professional-update/practitioner-enquiry.aspx

COMPASS POINT ACTIVITIES

Proces

Content

Leadership actions

Good to see that others have the same view points: shared expectation

Process of Enquiry : Ferghal Kelly:

Action Research Cycle: Jump in at any point

What models have I used before?

What is already known ?

Reflecting on summary below and from experience in practising meta-cognitive strategies throughout my 5 years of practise, I have seen that thinking routines can be used with any subject context and setting. I have used meta cognitive approaches when leading staff development and departmental activities and outcomes have been highly effective in providing feedback for teachers in coincidences with learning and experiencing a progressive thought process.

Jennife Armstrong_PractitionerEnquiry_ Nurture MTV

ACES Presentation _Inservice

8 Principles of Emotional Literacy Posters

Professional Enquiry Feedback Template

How effective is it?

Metacognition and self-regulation approaches have consistently high levels of impact, with pupils making an average of seven months’ additional progress.

These strategies are usually more effective when taught in collaborative groups so that learners can support each other and make their thinking explicit through discussion.

The potential impact of these approaches is high, but can be difficult to achieve in practice as they require pupils to take greater responsibility for their learning and develop their understanding of what is required to succeed.

The evidence indicates that teaching these strategies can be particularly effective for low achieving and older pupils.

How secure is the evidence?

A number of systematic reviews and meta-analyses have consistently found strategies related to metacognition and self-regulation to have large positive impacts. Most studies have looked at the impact on English or mathematics, though there is some evidence from other subject areas like science, suggesting that the approach is likely to be widely applicable.

The approaches that have been tested tend to involve applying self-regulation strategies to specific tasks involving subject knowledge, rather than learning generic ‘thinking skills’.

The EEF has evaluated a number of programmes that seek to improve ‘learning to learn’ skills. The majority have found positive impacts, although smaller in size (around 2 months’ progress on average) than the average seen in the wider evidence base. For three of these programmes there were indications that they were particularly beneficial for pupils from low income families.

A 2014 study, Improving Writing Quality, used a structured programme of writing development based on a self-regulation strategy. The evaluation found gains, on average, of an additional nine months’ progress, suggesting that the high average impact of self-regulation strategies is achievable in English schools.

My Itch : Empowering pupils to come self regulative in a stimulating and meta cognitive learning environment!

Education is the only way out of poverty. Socially, emotionally and economically young people living in poverty are more likely to have experienced ACES and will have additional challenges in regards to regulating and processing their own emotions. Within a learning environment with a high density of young people living with this challenge, it is the duty of the teacher and school systems to support and create an environment that is empowering, stimulating and encouraging, but most of all. SAFE!

My professional actions and personal values play a distinct role in ensuring that my teaching and professional leadership of a team are supportive of creating a safe learning environment within this structure.

With experience of being an MTV leader, with training in applying nurturing principles as a whole school system and from completing an emotional literacy course with LIFELINK. I am still working towards a more refined and deepened understanding of the link between pupils having the sense of self to be able to feel confident in exploring how they learn to enable them to control their interactions when they are learning!

Thinking Outside The Box : Stop Yelling and Start connecting

Supporting young people at times requires real attunement and connectivity. Some young people display symptoms of insecure attachment. I came across this short read on amazon and it drew on my attention due to knowledge that shouting at young people actually causes more trauma and causes stress for a young person, so I really felt that I wanted to feel confident that I was prioritising connectivity over ‘control’. Sometimes in the FH role you are seen to be the person to go to to dish out consequences and punishment and it does not work! I want to promote conversation and new understanding of a scenario.

This book really was very insightful, even though I am not a parent! Same principles apply to a position of trust with a young person!

Recognising and Rewarding Positive and Productive working initiative in St Mungo’s has taken the shape of “Meeting the Standards”

In the school currently it was agreed that the merit and demerit system was not working. Pupils felt that they were not getting recognised for the good work they do and other pupils were not seeing any consequence or supportive change in their behaviours.

As part of a twighlight session I went along to review the new system. In short, the new system means that all pupils at the start of every period have a “meeting the standards merit” and it is up to them to keep that. If a pupil is not meeting those standards they do not get that merit. Merits and non merits are collated and staff are able to see an overview of the pupils that are engaged, achieving and responsible for their working behaviours.

I felt that some of our young people were not getting their merits because they do not have the social skills, emotional literacy or skills in self regulation to access this merit. I felt that as a teacher, the emotional wellbeing and engagement of learners is 100% my responsibility when in my class. I wanted to provide specific music action points that young people to exercise to ensure that they met the standard.

I have made a poster for each of the standards and highlighted the different ways in which they can meet those standards.

I have rolled this out in Music and Drama, and shared this good practise around the school to support staff and pupils to maintain consistency with this new system.

It is important that I continue to model the use of this to ensure that each young person is treated equally and fairly.  

Pupil Support Handbook

As one of our focus for Departmental Improvement this year is ensuring whole school nurturing approaches.

I have supported staff by providing them with an online resource that they can consistently refer to throughout their CPD and also day to day workings to support the management of challenging and attention needing behaviours.

This handbook is not a  ” solution ” but its purpose is to provide staff with a supportive place to look for whole school support, strategies to use and try and also professional reading to build knowledge and confidence in professional practise.

The handbook is not complete or supposed to be defined, instead it is something that is a collaborative document that staff can add to if they go non a really interesting cpd or find an amazing resource!

It is supposed to feel collegiate and supportive.

Please see below the beginnings of the handbook

Faculty of Performing Arts Pupil Support Handbook