Thinking Outside The Box : Stop Yelling and Start connecting

Supporting young people at times requires real attunement and connectivity. Some young people display symptoms of insecure attachment. I came across this short read on amazon and it drew on my attention due to knowledge that shouting at young people actually causes more trauma and causes stress for a young person, so I really felt that I wanted to feel confident that I was prioritising connectivity over ‘control’. Sometimes in the FH role you are seen to be the person to go to to dish out consequences and punishment and it does not work! I want to promote conversation and new understanding of a scenario.

This book really was very insightful, even though I am not a parent! Same principles apply to a position of trust with a young person!

5 Replies to “Thinking Outside The Box : Stop Yelling and Start connecting”

1. Hi Jennifer,

I love the idea of this read, think I might have a look on Amazon myself to find it! I would be really interested to see the impact of changing your approach to speaking with children, particularly if you are faculty head. Being a P7 teacher I often find it temping to shout but know this will get me absolutely nowhere. Relationships are so important in the classroom!
    Good Luck with choosing a question!
    Katie

1. Thank you Katie for your comments. It was a really insightful little read and I suppose with young people not always coming from a stable home environment it made me think about how I can create an connective environment within my own classroom and how I can model these behaviours to encourage staff to do the same.

2. Hi Jennifer, I’m becoming more involved with the West 1 blogs while Lise is on maternity leave and I’ve been reading through all your recent posts. I take it the new ‘Meeting the Standards’ system is school wide? And there is a common explanation throughout the school of what the standards are? Am I right then in thinking that you have adapted the standards to make them specific to the music department? You have obviously carried out quite a lot of reading in this area judging from the Pupil Support Handbook. Is there a specific area of behaviour management you want to focus on for your enquiry?

1. Hi there Emma. Yes, meeting the standard is a whole school approach. I was part of a small working group that has been evaluating its success and I have now tailored the approach to make sure young people in the faculty have subject specific working behaviours to practise in class to focus their energies on and give them an example of how they can meet the standard. The idea being that they can assess themselves whether they have met the standard based on these social targets.

3. MY focus for my enquiry is to mentor and support other teachers in their implementation of the Nurture principles and emotional literacy. Mainly focusing on classroom offers a safe base.