Discovering Diwali…๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿช”๐Ÿ•‰๐Ÿฎ

In PATHS, we were discussing overcoming difficulties, and what strategies we could use in school if we found something particularly tricky (so tricky – it felt like we were pushing ourselves up a steep mountain). ๐Ÿ”

We went litter-picking and collected a LOT of litter that had blown in to the school grounds or had been dropped by litter loiterers over the weekend. #keepourschoolbeautiful!

Subhan – We used the litter pickers to pick up the litter! It’s important to look after our community.

Bilal – We looked after our local area.

In Maths, we were practicing doubling and halving single and two-digit numbers. We used lots of concrete materials like cubes, finger-painted spots, Numicon and Tens and Units dienes. Remember, doubling or halving is like a repeated addition or a repeated subtraction sum.

Bilal – It was awesome. I love to use numicon.

Subhan – Everybody should use numicon, it will make Maths easier for you.

Ivo: I loved this!

I

During Hammer the Grammar time, we were learning about singular and plural nouns, and how if we have more than one of something (plural), we might add s, es, ies to the noun’s ending. There were quite a lot of rules…and we will definitely revisit as it was quite confusing hehe!

We read the story of Rama and Sita, and sequenced the plot using keywords and story-mapping.ย  We answered Reading Comprehension questions on The story of Dipal’s Diwali.

Khadija and Kareem were learning the D sound, and making great CVC words like den, dig, dad etc.

On Friday afternoons, Duncan does some karate with us. It was great fun!

Hector: It was good!

This week, we have been exploring the Hindu festival of Diwali. Here are some interesting facts that we have learned this week;

• the Story of Rita and Sama
  • We made Rangoli patterns with rice and dye colouring. ๐Ÿš
  • We made diva lamps using paper plates and decorating them with paint, glitter and tissue paper.๐Ÿช”
  • We learned about Goddess Lakshmi, and how Indians and Hindus give her presents and blessings at the temple.๐Ÿ•Œ๐Ÿ›•

In the spirit of exloring Indian culture, during Dance time, Miss Cohen taught us the Indian Bharatanytam routine.๐Ÿฉฐ๐ŸŽญ

Subhan: We used food colouring and put our hands in the bowl!

Subhan: I loved when me and Miss Cohen took a photo together.

We made Diwali ‘Coconut Ice Squares’ by …

-mixing coconut, icing sugar and condensed milk! We rolled it into a rectangle and put in in the fridge to set. We think it will be super tasty!

Kit soon discovered he had an addiction to icing sugar!

Today will mark Miss McCafferty’s last day working with Class 2 ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ˜ชThankfully, she will still be around the school for us to see her and continue our positive relationship!

Times we enjoyed and things we love about Miss McCafferty;

Subhan: Miss McCafferty is so nice.

Khadija: Miss McCafferty does nice work and has soft hair.

Bilal: I like it when Miss McCafferty helps me learn. I will miss her so so much and I’m sad.

Hope you have a lovely weekend!

Miss Cohen