Arthurlie Family Centre

February 16, 2017
by Mrs Liddell
0 comments

Health and Wellbeing

The children are learning to identify and name their emotions. Throughout each day, children experience a wide range of feelings. Using art to express some of the inner most feelings that they have trouble expressing to the world can be a very therapeutic experience.

dscn8193 dscn8195 dscn8196 dscn81981 dscn8199 dscn8202

February 14, 2017
by Mrs Silvester
0 comments

Here are some of the things we love to do at Arthurlie

O my Luve's like a red, red rose That’s newly sprung in june; O my Luve's like the melodies That’s sweetly play'd in tune: As fair art thou, my bonnie lass, So deep in luve am I: And I will luve thee still, my dear, Till a’ the seas gang dry: Till a’ the seas gang dry, my dear, And the rocks melt wi’ the sun: I will luve thee still, my dear, While the sands o’ life shall run. And fare thee weel, my only Luve And fare thee weel, a while! And I will come again, my Luve, Tho’ it were ten thousand mile. My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose

We love flowers.
O my Luve’s like a red, red rose
That’s newly sprung in june;

Looking through a heart

The children looked for hearts shapes in the nursery. They found heart shapes on the wallpaper in the family room, in the playdough drawer, in our drawings, on photograph frames, on the valentine balloons and on the handles of the wicker baskets.

dscn9763

Children made a love heart collage.

Making a Valentine Heart

I’m sticking my heart on. I love my brother.

dscn9784

We love playing on the swings at the park.

Making Valentine Cards

We love making cards and writing.

We love the park.

We love going to the park.

Mines got a heart.

We made love heart toast.

I can butter my Valentine toast.

Children made their own snack.

February 9, 2017
by Mrs Silvester
0 comments

Messy Play is an important part of early education.

dscn8449 dscn8452  dscn8457 dscn8458 dscn8479  dscn8492 dscn8494 dscn8501 dscn8504img_20170209_093704 img_20170209_093741  img_20170209_093806 img_20170209_093930 img_20170209_094310 img_20170209_094452 img_20170209_094626  img_20170209_092524 img_20170209_092553 img_20170209_092607 img_20170209_092634 img_20170209_092638 img_20170209_092653 img_20170209_093629 img_20170209_093638

Messy play offers many opportunities for learning. It can benefit children in all areas of  their development.  Everything they see, hear, feel, smell and do helps to shape their brain and their overall development.  Sensorial or messy play  is important to provide the children with as many new experiences to explore as we can as well as allowing them the time and space to go back to old, familiar ones.

February 9, 2017
by Mrs Silvester
0 comments

Mark making with shaving foam and chalk.

dscf3005dscn0572 dscf3011 dscf3012  dscf3006 dscf3007 dscf3008 dscf3009dscn0573 dscn0577 dscn0583 dscn0585

In nursery children have lots of opportunities to practise making big movements (gross motor skills), for example by climbing, crawling, dancing, throwing and catching balls or carrying objects.

These activities will help develop the muscle control needed to move on to fine motor movements, such as being able to squeeze play dough into different shapes, grasp and manipulate building bricks and hold pencils or crayons for mark making.

February 6, 2017
by Mrs Silvester
0 comments

Chinese New Year 2017

dscf2873 dscf2866 dscf2867 dscf2869

Happy Chinese New Year 2017 – The Year of the Rooster. The new year has begun and will last until Feb 15, 2018.

The new year, also known as the Spring Festival, is marked by the lunisolar Chinese calendar, so the date changes from year to year.

Dragon dances are performed at New Year to scare away evil spirits. The children watched performers on the smart board hold poles and raise and lower their Dragon costume. Then children demonstrated their own dragon dance moves with their friends.

February 6, 2017
by Sheena Rainey
0 comments

Nursery Rhyme of the Week

wee-willie-winkieNursery Rhyme  

Wee Willie Winkie

Rhyme Sound “-own”   town, gown, frown, brown
Hanen Focus Characters and setting, a sparkle word
Home Focus Can you make words with your initial?

Funny Freya, Laughing Lewis, Jumping Joe

February 3, 2017
by Mrs Liddell
0 comments

Science: I Can Investigate The Properties of Ice and Water In The World Around Me.

img_20170127_140717 img_20170127_105724 img_20170127_111402 img_20170127_111407

Its been so cold we have been looking at things when they freeze and thaw. Inside the water jugs were so cold they froze. Some of the children weren’t sure how it became like that but they saw that It was starting to get ‘watery’ .One of the girls knew that ‘it only stays ice when its in the fridge’.

When we were outside there were some cars that had been frozen in ice. The children tried breaking the ice but some was ‘stuck in the truck’  so we had to think of another way to solve our problem. One of the children had an idea of pouring water over them to make the ice ‘melt’ which worked so we were able to play with them again.

February 1, 2017
by Mrs Liddell
0 comments

Expressive and Aesthetic.

dscn9992

“You take your partner and go up and down and bow”.

dscn9996

“Can I be the loch ness monsters body”?

Liz Murray has been continuing to visit the nursery and co-ordinate specific dance moves for the children to learn relating to Katie in Scotland story. The children  made a big loch ness monster using the shapes of our bodies and also had a parade with the saltire flag. We also continued our Scottish dancing.

February 1, 2017
by Sheena Rainey
0 comments

Woodland Wonders

Pre-School children attend Woodland Wonders for one session each week.   On some days there are spaces in the group which can be offered to Pre-school children as an extra woods session.   Please speak to Mrs Rainey or Shona in the office if you would like your child to go on an extra session.

January 31, 2017
by Sheena Rainey
0 comments

Nursery Rhyme of the Week

hickory-dickery-dock

Nursery Rhyme Hickory Dickory Dock
Rhyme Sound “-ock”   lock, stock, rock, mock
Hanen Focus Characters, a sparkle word
Home Focus Can you make “c” words – cat, clock, Kate, king

January 30, 2017
by Mrs Liddell
0 comments

Scotland. I can bake shortbread.

dscn8131

“My mum buys shortbread from Tesco.”

dscn8128

“The flours fluffy, I put butter in, now its sticky.”

dscn8126

“Yummy, that taste good.”

Some of the children were baking shortbread as part of their learning about Scotland. The boys and girls were learning skills like pouring, measuring, weighing, whisking, rolling and simple mathematics such as adding and subtracting and all sorts of other baking techniques that are used. The best part of the baking was the end result and being able to taste their master piece.

January 24, 2017
by Mrs Liddell
0 comments

Science, I can care for living things

img_20170124_093819

“I think it might eat chopped up ham”img_20170124_093341

img_20170124_093155

A group of children have been looking after some monster plants that eat insects. Today we fed our Venus Fly  Trap plants for the first time with some blood worms. The children had crushed the blood worms and then gently fed to the plants with tweezers. We used the internet and ‘youtube’ to find out what the plants eat and how to feed them.   This led to the children talking about different things they might eat like ‘chopped up ham’ but we discovered they usually eat insects using hairs that the insects step on and then the plant closes to eat them.

We are hoping that they will grow as we look after them and feed them.” Keep your eyes peeled”

January 24, 2017
by Mrs Silvester
0 comments

Messy/Sensory Play

Gloop is a fun sensory experience for both children and adults. Gloop is an interesting mixture with a unique texture to explore and play.

Playing with Gloop is a fabulous sensory and science activity to learn about the concepts of what a solid and liquid is.

You will need 2 cups of corn flour, 1 cup of water, two drops of food dye and a large container.  Encourage your child to mix and play with the Gloop before it is completely mixed together. Explore the texture and talk about what it feels like, sticky, slimy, cold and powdery.

Tip: This activity can get messy but clean-up is quite easy as gloop can be picked up or wiped off the table and easily washed of hands and clothing.  A  recommendation would be to wear an apron.

dscn0331 dscn0329 dscn0330

January 23, 2017
by Sheena Rainey
0 comments

humpty_dumpty_rhyme_qld_page_1 humpty

Nursery Rhyme Humpty Dumpty
Rhyme Sound “-all”   wall, fall, stall, doll, call
Hanen Focus Characters , a sparkle word
Home Focus Can you make “d” words – dumpty, dog, deep, dark

January 19, 2017
by Mrs Liddell
0 comments

Numeracy. I can talk about my day using morning, afternoon and night. I can recognise the numbers on a clock. I can say that a clock tells us the time.

img_0730

“We used numbers 8 and 9. We used two spoons to make hands.” “What time is it?” “It’s 10 o’clock. Ten o’clock at night.” Where are you at 10 o’clock?” “I’m in my bed.”

img_0728

“It’s 10 o’clock. What time is it in nursery?” “It’s quarter past 10 in nursery.” “It won’t be long till lunch time.”

img_0733

“Can I do I clock?” “Would you like to paint a clock?” “I’ll copy the wooden clock.”

img_0738

“I need to put hands. I’ll draw them on.”

img_0727

The children are still continuing to learn about clocks and time. Some of the children helped to make a clock through using their number mats. The children were encouraged to match the numbers of the clock and were learning the language of how specific numbers are at the top, bottom, right side and left side. The children used two spoons to make hands, which then led to discussing the time when the children placed the hands on the clock. The children identified that it was 10 o’clock at night time. This led to discussing various times of the day and what happens in the morning, afternoon and night time.