Distance Learning – Day 18

Firstly, can I thank all the pupil that have participated on Google classroom this week.  I have noticed this week there has been a definite mood of positivity and support for each other and for our achievements. Well done!

Our collection of digital badges, that are given out for achievements, is slow growing. Congratulations those who have received one so far and keep working hard to receive more.

Even though we are in lockdown, we have continued our excellent class novel Sky Song. The author, Abi Elphinstone, creates very clever character names that give you an insight into the character’s appearance and/or personality.  For instance, one of the lead characters is called Flint. This made us think of the stone that cave people use to start fires or fashioned into spear or arrow heads. This made us think that Flint was a warrior or hunter, could look after himself in the wild, or he was a survivor. Which turned out to be completely true.

One of today’s Literacy challenge was to come up with a descriptive and clever name for a ice ghoul.  Jamie thought Snowtooth was a good name for this character, whilst Lea suggested Iceglider.  Aatish came up with the very apt name of Frostbite. Great names everyone.

The second task was to use the images that are created in your mind when you hear one of Elphinstone’s characters and create a piece of art of the character.

This is Lea’s idea of the character Inch.

Zac drew Inch’s friend Lofty.

Aatish used his digital art skills to create his version of inch.

Another Inch this time from Noah.

And finally, this collection of Elphinstone characters from Jamie. Thanks for sharing all your great art with us.

Remember when I posted the news that Lewis was features in the St Mirren’s magazine, well Lewis shared with me a better photo of the magazine front cover.

Fantastic Lewis! Now rather than answer any of my queries, this front cover has just created new questions for me. What is this difference that the front cover mentions? What is on page 10? Please put us out of our misery Lewis! Keep checking out the blog and hopefully our questions will be answered.