Our Weekly News – 5th November

Each week we will endeavour to share something from each class but this may not always be the case. For further details and information about our school, please head over to our Facebook page at Kirkcudbright Primary School | Facebook
.
.
P1F
This week we have been learning about adding. We looked at and discussed red/blue dot patterns and recorded what we saw as an adding sentence, using the symbols + / =.
Note
P1 pupils will enter the school independently in the morning, leaving their parent/ carer at the gate. This will begin on Monday the 8th of November.
.
.
P1M
We had a visit from Rory who taught us some singing games and rhymes.
We worked together to help each other do some tasks e.g. jigsaws.
On Friday, we learned about Guy Fawkes and Firework Safety.
“I liked all the colours in my firework painting.” – Craig
“I liked watching the fireworks display on the computer and the music with it.” – Evie L
“We liked singing with Rory and the rhyme with the ball.” – Amy and Olivia
Reminder
Please try to log onto Teams.
.
.
P2
We have been busy learning about numbers to 100 this week. We have practised counting in 10s, 5s and 2s. We have made some paper rockets too. We coloured them and made them look fancy, with sparkly bits. We also thought of adjectives to describe our rockets and other fireworks we might see on bonfire night.
“We were making rockets because it is nearly bonfire night.” – Freya
“We counted in 10s to 100.” – Amelia
Reminder
PE is on a Tuesday and Wednesday. Please remember your PE kit.
.
.
P2/3
We have been keeping up to date with COP26 by watching Newsround and we also watched ‘The Lorax’.
We have been doing lots of different activities with 100 squares. We have been using Renkenreks for the first time too.
“I really liked playing with the paint for our Christmas cards.” -Ross
“We must all help Earth.” – Lucy
“I thought the Renkenreks were very fun.” – Aria
“I found the COP26 information interesting.” – Duncan
.
.
P3/4
This week in P3/4 we have been learning about COP26, climate change and considering ways to look after nature and our environment. Also, we have been learning how to write descriptive sentences. We designed our own alien and thought about size, colour, shape and texture.
Damian said, “We need to recycle bottles made of glass and plastic.”
Eilidh said, “It’s not good to chuck away your rubbish because it can hurt the animals.’’
Brody said, “Always recycle because it’s good for humans and animals.’’
Millie said, “In Glasgow there’s a meeting about climate change. They are talking about ways to save the planet.’’
.
.
P4/5
In writing, we have been learning about up-skilling and expanding sentences using nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, connectives and determiners.
We have been learning different multiplication strategies.
Our topic is the ‘Vikings’, so this week we have been learning about them and the Galloway Hoard.
We watched the Lorax COP26 performance over there amazing mission to save the planet. We then did some work around climate change and what we can do to protect the planet. We discussed what might happen if we do not take responsibility for our actions.
.
.
P5
This week we had the opportunity to watch a performance of the Lorax from The Lyceum theatre in Edinburgh on Tuesday, which we watched and enjoyed very much! This was linked to thinking about issues being raised at COP26. We also learned about Greta Thunberg’s campaign and we designed our own petition banners with Mr Wild.
Rory – “I liked it when the Onceler chopped down the trees in the Lorax.”
Gavin – “My banner read Climate change won’t solve itself.”
Kornelia – “My banner read STOP! We need to act faster to stop climate change!”
.
.
P6
We have been comparing and researching lives of people in the past to our lives. (Vikings)
We have been learning about COP26 and what the young people want world leaders to do.
“It was fun learning about Vikings. We found out more than we thought.” Sylvie
“We learned about how Vikings lived and their lifestyle.” Hari.
.
.
P6/7
In P6/7 this week, we have signed up to the Glasgow Science Centre ‘Renewables Challenge’. We had two interviews with engineers about their jobs. Joseph said, “It was challenging and I really enjoyed it.”
Our class is in charge of planning a ‘Children in Need’ day for our school. This week, we started planning all the activities we will be setting up to help raise money for this charity. “I really enjoyed it because we are doing it for a good cause,” – Maya.
For the past two weeks, we have been learning Scottish dancing. The dances are called ‘Strip the Willow’ and ‘Dashing White Sergeant’. “The dancing was fun but very tiring.”- Jessica.
.
.
P7
We learned how to say the names of fruit and vegetables in Spanish.
We created ‘Fireworks over Kirkcudbright Bridge’ art in the style of Jackson Pollock.
We are taking part in weekly group sessions to build self-esteem and encourage good mental health.
Ryan – “I chose orange, red and yellow for my fireworks because they are warm, bright colours.”
Gary – “We pulled the brush with our fingers to get the splatter firework effect.”
Danielle – “Me gusta los platanos means I like to eat bananas.”
Reminder
Spelling homework will be due on Thursday (11th) next week.