Our Weekly News – 12th November

Each week we will endeavour to share something from each class but this may not always be the case. For further details and information about our school, please head over to our Facebook page at Kirkcudbright Primary School | Facebook

.

P1F
The boys and girls in P1-F have been working hard to read and write high frequency words: a, at, in, it, is, on, of, if, or, I….. They had fun using ‘Phonics Cubes’ and ‘Letter Tiles’ to help.
The boys and girls learned about the British Legion Poppy Appeal. They created a poppy to wear and took part in a two minute silence at 11am.
“It’s to remember the people who died.” – Freya
“I was making a-n (an) with Lily.” – Alba
.
.
P1M
P1M painted ‘Fields of Poppies’ this week. They finger printed the petals and printed little black dots for the centres. They later added the stalks. The class looked at pictures of poppies and discussed why we wear them in November.
‘’I liked putting paint on my fingers.” – William
‘’My picture was good.” – Ryan
‘’My flowers have delicate stems.” – Archie
.
.
P2
P2 went outside for maths. They sorted different objects into groups i.e. different ways, as an introduction to handling information.
In science, we started learning about electricity. We worked in groups to share what we already knew about electricity.
“The computer has a cable that makes it work.” – Ella
“There’s a water power station at Tongland Bridge.” – Jak
“Do not put your fingers in the socket. It might give you an electric shock.” – Aylah
.
.
P2/3
In p2/3 we have been learning about Remembrance Day and making art work to show our respect.
We have been improving are basketball skills with chest passes, dribbling and team work.
“I have been really enjoying learning a new sign every day.” – Elena
“I liked doing our poppy paintings.” – Fearne
“I find Rekenreks help with my learning.” – Tommy
“We loved playing proper bingo.” – Heather, Patrick and Ross
.
.
P3/4
In p3/4 we have been learning hockey. We have been learning to pass and control the ball.
In Art, we created clay houses that represented the houses in Kirkcudbright.
This week our focus has been Remembrance Day. We have been learning about the importance of the poppy and why it is used to symbolise Remembrance Day.
Lydia said, “I have enjoyed doing math challenges this week.”
Willow said, “We designed a cover for our Viking topic. I like to see what they used to do “
Yixin said: “We played games at PE. We used sticks to play hockey.”
.
.
P4/5
In writing, we are continuing to develop our word class knowledge and apply this when upskilling our sentences.
In maths, we have been working on our 4, 6 and 7 times tables this week with Mrs Davidson. We have also been working on area with Mr Wild. It was very fun!
In topic, we are continuing our fact-finding skills around the Vikings and the Galloway Hoard.
In art with Ms McLeman, we have been learning about the traditional painted houses of Kirkcudbright and recreated them with clay.
In PE, we continued to practice our dancing introducing choreography to the Greatest Showman and the importance of counting the beat for each move.
P4/5 have been learning all about Remembrance Day. Every pupil made a poppy to create a giant reef for our display wall.
.
.
P5
We launched into our Vikings topic this week and found out about long ships. We measured out how long they actually are in metres in the playground. We also had fun playing the glockenspiels in music and followed a simple tune as well as playing the C major scale.
Yilin said, “The Viking long ship was much longer than I expected.”
Sam said, “I was surprised at how many men could fit in a long ship.”
Mia, “I enjoyed playing the glockenspiels this week. We made a good sound.”
REMINDER
On Monday afternoon, we will be visiting the Viking Hoard at Kirkcudbright Art Gallery. Please make sure your child brings in a warm waterproof coat for the walk and also for each day for outdoor activities. Thank you.
.
.
P6
We created Scottish landscape paintings, shading and tinting with one colour, to learn about tone. We then stuck on silhouettes for Remembrance Day.
After the one minute silence, on the 11th day of the 11th month at the 11th hour, we wrote down our thoughts and feelings.
Isobel: “I enjoyed learning about making different tones in painting.”
Sylvie: “It was interesting finding out about how brave the soldiers were.”
Ava: “We learned more about Scottish soldiers in the wars.”
REMINDER
On Monday 15th November, we’ll be visiting the Kirkcudbright Galleries
to see the ‘famous’ Galloway Hoard.
.
.
P6/7
Every week we do the ‘Daily Rigour’ challenges. This week, we had a very interesting problem about bed times. It was very interesting to find out what time we should go to bed at. The father of tiramisu, Ado Campeol, died at age 93. We had to work out how much mascarpone would serve 24 people if the recipe serves 6. “I felt the tiramisu question was quite easy but I still enjoyed it.” –Arabella.
We were writing persuasive letters to all the teachers asking them to help on Children In Need day. We are asking them if they could help by letting all the pupils throw soaking sponges at them. As it’s for Children in Need, they would be doing it for a good cause. “I think it would be a good opportunity for the teachers to get drenching wet!”- Maya.
We have signed up to Scottish Power and Glasgow Science Centre Renewables Challenge and this week we studied wind turbines. We used a hair dryer so we could test out our turbines. Molly said, “I had lots of fun making the windmills and it was very interesting to see how they worked.” We had to estimate whether we thought that the flat blades or the folded blades would work better. In the end the folded blade worked better.
REMINDER
On Thursday you can come to school in outdoor clothing (old shoes, wellies etc.) for our ramble to the Barrhill Woods with p1F.
P7’s will need their outdoor PE kit for Tuesday afternoon when the visit the Academy.
.
.
P7
We created a class display for Remembrance Day.
We took part in a live online lesson about the Climate Emergency and how we travel.
We found out about Scotland’s National War Memorial.
Eva T. – “I used oil pastels for my poppy because the colours were more vibrant.”
Eva McG – “I tried hard with my bridge silhouette. I think it looks good.”
Ryan – “Scotland’s National War Memorial is at Edinburgh castle and it is to remember all the Scots who died in war.”
REMINDER
This term’s homework task has been given to pupils. Due date is Monday 13th December.