Our Weekly News – 22nd November 2019

As we are still developing our website and Facebook page, there are only 3 classes work displayed. As the weeks go on, more classes will be sharing their learning so look out for more updates from the school.

Primary 5/6

We have started reading ‘The Borrowers’. This is our new class novel study.

This week we have been learning about the design process through our Christmas tree decoration challenge. We have added some pictures (below) of some of our class giving feedback on some of our initial ideas. We had to use constructive and positive language.

“I think ‘The Borrowers’ is decent so far.”  –  Aiden

“It’s nice to read an old book and a perfectly chosen story.”  –  Ralph

Can all pupils please remember to bring PE kit on Monday and Wednesday.

Primary 6

Primary 6 have been learning about homophones in language work. We identified examples of homophones and are able to tell you that they are words which sound the same but have different spellings (with very different meanings). Examples are: pear (fruit) and pair (two). Also, there is flour (used for baking) and flower (the plant). Can you think of any more? Please add your examples in the comment section.

In maths set, Mr McClune’s group have been looking at data and gathering information. As part of this, we constructed a Form in Microsoft and added all questions to it. We asked everyone in P5/6, P6 and P7 to take part and had over 70 responses! From this, we will now look at the data and produce graphs and charts.

Joseph –  “I enjoyed the rock, paper, scissors game in PE and encouraging my team.”

Jessica– “I learned how to work with percentages and fractions.”

Alex– “I enjoyed learning about homophones and like the different examples.”

Primary 7

We have investigated how Titanic moved by designing and creating our own boats with propellers. We recorded our results and evaluated and modified our designs.

We investigated how icebergs float in water and how different types of water affect how an iceberg melts.

We made ice cream and slushy drinks using ice and salt. We found out that salt lowers the temperature of ice.

Yasin said, “I learned that salt cools ice as it actually disrupts the ice crystals and causes it to produce energy.”

Tyler said, “I learned that most of the iceberg is under the water when it floats.”

Ruby said, “I learned that salt makes the temperature of ice go down.”

On Tuesday we have parents appointments from 4pm to 7pm and on Wednesday from 3.30pm to 5.30pm.

We have our class assembly next Friday (29th) at 2pm. We hope to see you all there.

Wider Achievement

Congratulations to all these karate experts who achieved their new belts!

Well done to all who took part in last night’s Youth Speaks Rotary competition. Children took part in this cluster wide event and presented talks about a subject of their choosing. 1st and 3rd place came from our school! A great effort from all involved.