Last night saw the return of the eagerly awaited annual Burns recitation competition at the Ryan Centre organised by the Stranraer and District Burns Club. Children, families and friends from all over the Stranraer area came together to watch the winners from each school recite their Scots poetry.
It was a very entertaining evening with so much talent and confidence on show. There were two categories; P3 – 5 and P6 – 7. Our North Rhins was well represented by the following pupils:
P3 – 5
- Jack Howie: Kirkcolm Primary – The Auld Broon Troot
- Ewan Clark: Leswalt Primary – Beasties
- Cameron McNeill: Portpatrick Primary – The Auld Broon Troot
P6 – 7
- Alexander Clark: Leswalt Primary – The Moosie’s Prayer
- Luke Butler: Kirkcolm Primary – Address Tae A Haggis
- Maya McNeill: Portpatrick Primary – Address Tae a Haggis
We are delighted to announce that Cameron McNeill won second place in the younger category and Maya McNeill also won second place in the older category. Congratulations to both! They each received a book of the complete works of Robert Burns.
Every child that recited had already been judged as winners in their respective schools. They all gave a sterling performance and they well deserved the certificate they achieved for their participation this challenging event.
The Free Press will be publishing an article with photographs of all the participants. More photos will be posted on here hopefully later today.
Well done Everyone!