Today Kirkcolm Primary swung open its doors to invite in the lovely parents of our pupils to participate in our Science activities in celebration of British Science Week! This was a great opportunity to promote Science in the school and we did this through a variety of activities throughout the school – some had a STEM feel to them and encouraged the pupils (and parents) to think hard, problem solve and theorise.
The activities available were;
- The Code and Go Mouse (can you guild him through a maze you designed?)
- A look at www.sciencekids.co.nz – where the kids were able to explore some science based games that they could also access at home should they be so keen to expand their knowledge!
- An engineering challenge to build something creative using any of the materials laid out.
- The classic egg drop – who can protect their egg the best and save it from a fall!?
- Looking at sound and vibration using cups and string (I’m still amazed by this one!)
We all had a fantastic time rotating around the stations, we got to flex our science muscles as we thought hard about what we were doing and we even got to see how fantastically we all work together in our wee school
Many thanks to all the parents/grans etc. who came in to help out with the pupils and to those who weren’t able to make it I hope you get a good feel for the day and see what your little one was up to through the photos!