Scientists in P3/4/5 discover what barn owls eat for tea!

P3/4/5 had a visit from Mr Jack Orchel, local barn owl expert, on Friday morning who brought with him some pellets. Pupils enjoyed being ‘scientists’ and dissected the pellets using tweezers, searching for small bones which would give clues to what the barn owls had eaten. Magnifying glasses helped pupils to examine the discoveries more closely and a key was used to identify the bones. Skulls of small mice, voles, shrews and even small birds were  found.

7 thoughts on “Scientists in P3/4/5 discover what barn owls eat for tea!”

1. It was really fun and I hope everyone thought so too looking at the pellet was my favourite bit.

2. I loved dicecting the owl pellets we found shrew,mice and lots more.It was so cool because we had to wear a face mask and use tweezers to take it apart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. I enjoyed the disecting the barn owl pellets Mark and I were a really good team he found the bones I examened them 🙂

4. Kids look like they loved this and it certainly sounded that way when they couldn’t stop talking about it when they came home. Bit worried how much Callum and some of the others look like “mad scientists” in the making.