Blackness Primary, ICT Blog

Blackness PS – Covid Parent Survival Kit

Linux Mint 19

You may have recieved a laptop from the school which has Linux installed on it. Out of the box it looks very similar to Windows, but it has some key differences. In this post I will introduce Linux Mint 19 (installed across most of the laptops that were donated) and link to some websites that are useful.

Not all the donated laptops have Mint 19 on them. Linux comes in many variations. Mint 19 is very powerful, but the beauty of it is it’s not very power hungry. It can run on older laptops and PCs that were running Windows 7 and Vista quite happily, but it won’t be able to run.

There are many videos about how to use Linux online, so rather that re-invent the wheel, I have included one below. Skipping to 1.45 in the video will let you get stright into looking at the desktop and how to use Linux Mint 19. I have gone straight to part 2 as part 1 deals with the installation which we have already done with the laptops we handed out to pupils. Part 3 (the second video below) deals with installing programs and software on Linux Mint.

Linux – The Desktop

Linux – Installing Software