Achievement

We are constantly being challenged on how to close the attainment gap.  I personally don’t think it is only about attainment.  Very high on my agenda is achievement and how this promotes health and wellbeing which does put all learners in a far stronger place to increase attainment.  This has been a very strong belief of mine for a number of years and indeed was the key message given to Michael Russel, Cabinet Secretary for Life Long Learning in 2012 from his attainment advisor group.  The attainment advisor group were selected for success in raising attainment and to give advice on how this could be shared with colleagues.  I was privileged to be one of the 5 members of this group and was seconded to Scottish Government for 6 months.  Along with my colleagues, Val Cory, Arlene Black, Brian McAlindon and Lindsey Watt we focused on research, good practice and what really worked.  We were all very clear on how important achievement was in closing the gap.  Although this work was 4 years ago there is much to be learned from it and is still relevant and helpful to work on raising attainment.  Some information from the group can be found at:

http://engageforeducation.org/news/videos-attainment-group-raising-attainment/

So this week I am delighted to be focusing on achievements.  This has been a fantastic week for celebrating many achievements in Argyll and Bute Education Service.  On Tuesday Steven Simpson was “crowned” the Modern Apprentice of the year at an event in Stirling.  Steven has been working in Learning Technologies supporting schools and mentored by Gary Clark.  What an achievement for this young man and indeed for his wonderful mentor.  Steven is the technical support behind my weekly blog.  Well done to both these talented young men.  Steven’s achievements were also recognised at full Council meeting on Thursday.  I know Steven is proud of his achievements but so are his family, and community around him and his work.

picture-week3-1

On Wednesday morning I had the honour of being a guest at the Argyll and Bute Awards.

This was a fantastic celebration of the work and the staff who are playing a vital part in new innovations. The awards were a true demonstration of achievements within our own council.

I was delighted that some Education Services were noted:

• Tacking Inequalities and Improving Health – Support learnings with English as an additional Language on Bute – Rothesay Joint Campus – Silver Award
  • Achieving Better Outcomes – Cowal Money Advice Project – Argyll & bute Family Pathways – Early Years Collaborative – Bronze Award
  • Achieving Better Outcomes – SQA Professional Development Award for Classroom and Support Assistants – Education – Bronze Award

picture-week3-2

I was very pleased to be presented with the award for Rothesay Joint Campus and their achievements with the Syrian Refugees and the great success with English as a second language.

picture-week3-3

On Thursday I was delighted to have a short visit to Dunoon Grammar where Paul Gallanagh, Barry Wilson And David Mitchel took  time to present to me their Badges Programme which will be a unique online resource for recording achievement and attainment.  This is a development that has much potential and I look forward to supporting the ongoing development.
Also on Thursday full Council approved the new vision and strategy for Education in Argyll and Bute “Our Children, Their Future “.  This vision and strategy will form a real strong foundation for the work of all in Education. Achievement is core to realising the vision and strategy in the document.  I look forward to working with you all as we take forward the implementation of the strategy.

https://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/moderngov/documents/s113029/Our%20Children%20Their%20Future%20%20%20%20Appendix.pdf

On Friday I had the delight to be part of the celebrations of staff achievements.  The participants for 2015/16 who were part of the two leadership programmes joined for a celebration tea party and I had the fantastic job of handing out the certificates.  I was extremely proud to see the developing potential within our own staff.  Some of the participants I have watched develop from probationers and one I even taught when I was a probationer.  These achievements mean a lot to individuals but I believe they are also very important to Argyll and Bute. We have a strong and hugely innovative workforce.  These are the people on the frontline who will lead the learning and ensure our young people not only attain but also achieve.  Huge congratulation to the ABEL and Middle Leaders Network.  Thanks to the support in these programmes of Sandra Clarke, Jay Helbert, SCEL and Dr Morag Redford of UHI.  Our achievements are so much greater when working in partnership.

picture-week3-4

Other activities this week that I have been involved with is Education Management Team, the Local Negotiating Committee for Teachers, meeting with MOD, meeting with parents, and attending Argyll and Bute’s Children.  These meetings were all focused on achieving positive outcomes for our young people.

As you go forward this week towards the October Break think about all you have achieved this term and be proud.  These achievements will have helped toward raising attainment for all.  I am always delighted to hear of achievements so please share these on

https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/ab/SAL/

I enjoy reading of all the achievements in our schools. There is a lot of good work happening both in and out of school.

I would like to thank all the Education staff for their hard work this first term and hope you have a fabulous October break.