GARELOCHHEAD’S GONE WITH THE WIND!

With the proposal in our local area, P6/5 decided to investigate wind farms further.

Most people have an opinion of some sort on the topic and even in P6/5 everyone had their own personal thoughts and feelings. We decided to visit Whitelee Windfarm in East Renfrewshire to learn more.

Whitelee Windfarm is the UK’s largest onshore windfarm. We discovered that the windfarm has 215 turbines which can power over 300,000 homes. During our day we carried out experiments and had the opportunity to stand underneath a turbine. It was amazing to see them up close and listen to how quiet they actually are! Learning about renewable energy production and how it helps tackle climate change has been fascinating. Are big turbines a price worth paying for tackling climate change?
P6/5 Garelochhead Primary

10 thoughts on “GARELOCHHEAD’S GONE WITH THE WIND!

1. Looks like you had a fantastic day. You all came back looking so happy and brimming with enthusiasm. Well Done.

2. It was a fantastic day , all the kids and helpers really enjoyed their day.
    It was very interesting.

3. Ailish had a fantastic day and was facinated with how quiet the huge turbines actually were! She loved giving them a hug!! Thank you Ms Macaulay for a great trip out.

4. I had a fantastic day at Whitelee windfarm. I loved hugging the wind turbines. when I looked up I thought the blades were going to hit me. I think they are a good source of renewable energy and so does my dad but my mum is not so sure.

5. It was a very interesting day, very informative. My opinion on windfarms has most definitely changed. Well worth a visit. The kids were fantastic, as usual!

6. josh had a informative day and enjoyed the experience. he came back with such enthusiasm for the subject of renewable energies.