English Department at Oban High School Books the Best Covers

English students at Oban High School competed in a department-wide competition in support of National Book Week by creating classroom door-sized replicas or interpretations of their favourite book covers.
Our selection ranged from the predictably popular Harry Potter to Bran Stoker’s Dracula to Alice Sebold’s chilling The Lovely Bones for a wide range of reader interest. The odds-on favourite was Miss Russell’s class whose cover of Jacqueline Wilson’s The Story of Tracy Beaker was a study in precision and detail. There were imaginative door “book covers” for Animal Farm, Michael Morpurgo’s War Horse and Why the Whales Came along with a majestic cover for The Lord of the Rings.

4 thoughts on “English Department at Oban High School Books the Best Covers

1. Wow, Oban, this looks fantastic. We would love to do this but we are not allowed to cover the doors in our school with anything. We could make door-size covers like you and place them around the school though. Some of us absolutely love Harry Potter.
    Primary 7

2. Coolio!!!! i hope you didnt copy write anything!!! they look great!!! although lovely bones, is an amazing book it puts a dwner on it slightly, i would avoid books like that, light hearted stuff like tracey beaker is perfect!!! im going to suggest this to my school!!!!!

3. Hello Mrs Jackson. I’m extremely proud of everyone who took part and especially liked the Lord of the Rings decoration. However, I would like to comment that F. McGowan has made an error in the one ring inscription. It reads ‘One ring to bring them all and in darkness bind them.’ In fact, it should read ‘One ring to bring them all and in THE darkness bind them.’

4. Mae govannen mellon, I think that these posters being a celebration of National Book Week, it would have been more appropriate to quote from the book and not the film. Therefore \"You shall not pass\" should have in fact been \"You cannot pass\" as can be seen from the following passage:

\"You cannot pass… I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass.The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You cannot pass!\"

Elen síla lúmenn\’ omentielvo,

Nostalion