appy days at Dunoon Grammar School

Sean McMahon, an S6 Dunoon Grammar School pupil, has recently developed and launched his own smart phone app for Dunoon Grammar School, named DGS Official App, which is available to download for Android from the Google Playstore.  Sean, who is an aspiring software developer, used Java to develop his application.  As the language is not taught within the school, Sean taught himself how to script using it and brought in his own laptop to write the code.

Java is an extremely complex language and therefore it took Sean a lot of hard work and determination to be able to understand the language in order to create the first ever Dunoon Grammar School App.  As far as we are aware it is the first App created for a school exclusively by a pupil.

The App provides the user with school news, the school calendar – with important dates and other useful information for parents.

Sean McMahon said, “As the school does not offer Advanced Higher Computing, I wanted to do something which was related to my chosen university course, which was why I created the app. It was very difficult and frustrating to learn Java, however it is very rewarding knowing I am capable of teaching myself something very challenging and being to able to see the finished product.”

Mr Stoddart, a computing teacher at the school said, “Sean worked extremely hard to develop a successful app. We do not know of any other pupil who has achieved this. He is a credit to the school.”

The App is available to download now from the Google Play Store.

Written by Heather and Abby – S6 pupils at Dunoon Grammar School

One thought on “appy days at Dunoon Grammar School