Dunoon Grammar School Pupils go Eco-friendly

Over the past 6 months, a range of DGS pupils and staff have been gathering old plastic bottles to make their very own greenhouse.  The greenhouse was made for two reasons: one simply because the DGS garden needed one; furthermore, it was a beneficial scheme which allowed recycled material, that would have otherwise gone to landfill, to be used in a productive way.  Some materials were given in by some pupils, but also Bogleha (a recycling centre) installed bins to collect additional plastic bottles.  Mr Crofts and Mr Davie, of DGS’s Technical department along with Mr Crofts’ S4 practical craft skills class took 3 days to construct the frame for the greenhouse.  Dunoon Grammar School’s Eco-group and Mr McClement, PT of Science, took two afternoons to assemble the plastic bottles and to add the finishing touches to complete our new greenhouse.

Mr McClement, also a member of the Eco-group, said,  “I’m very proud of the hard work the Eco-group put in and all the people who helped out. What the greenhouse stands for is equally important as its functionality.”

Michaela Stokoe, an S4 pupil who was involved, said,  “I enjoyed working on the greenhouse project because I learned the importance of recycling, gained practical skills and had lots of fun.”

Mr Shaw, Head Teacher added,  “I wish to congratulate the pupils and staff involved in this creative project. The greenhouse constructed by plastic bottles is a fitting testimony to their willingness to address environmental issues that impact on our school community.”