Young Ambassadors Attend Leadership Academy

On Sunday 16 September 2012, 13 pupils and 3 members of staff of Dunoon Grammar School went to Skye for a week, to take part in Columba 1400 (a leadership training centre). They participated in the Ambassador’s Leadership Programme which allowed the pupils to learn about their leadership skills. They also discovered their true potential, learned about teamwork and communication and how to use these skills to improve their lives and the school. It was the first time the school had participated in this helpful event, which allowed everyone to improve their confidence – children who would not normally be capable of speaking in front of a group became comfortable enough to do so by the end of the programme.

Both pupils and staff thoroughly enjoyed the programme and most said they would never forget the skills they learned. During the week the pupils and staff took part in a combination of outdoor and indoor activities – ranging from hill climbing and kayaking to indoor conferences – which were unknown to them before they arrived. The week was so successful that another year group from DGS will be attending it later in the year as well as other schools from around Argyll and Bute.

Miss Welsh, one of the staff members who attended the event, said:

“It has increased the confidence of everyone who took part and it has helped them realise what they need to do to fulfil their potential and I am glad I had the opportunity to take part in this wonderful programme.”

Mr Shaw, Head teacher, had to say this about the Columba 1400 programme:

“I am absolutely delighted by the positive effect that the Columba 1400 Leadership Academy has had on the Pupils who attended the Academy in Skye last week. We sent away 13 young people who wanted to contribute in improving their school and bring back young leaders full of enthusiasm and drive to make a difference not only for themselves but more importantly for the whole school. I am sure that the skills that learned will be put to great use. I would like to thank the staff who accompanied them and for continuing the good work back in the school.”

Sammy Cameron, an S4 pupil who took part in the event said:

“The week was very adventurous and allowed me not only to make new friends but also gain new skills. There was always something interesting to do and there was no element that was boring.”