St. Joseph’s Annual BBQ

What a wonderful day was had by all at St Joseph’s annual barbecue and fete on Saturday 16 June. Despite the torrential rain, the whole community turned out in force to support the school. The previous evening the Parent Council made the decision to host the event indoors – a wonderful move forward which allowed everyone time to prepare the fete indoors. A whole host of events were available for the participants from ‘Fishing for Coke’ and ‘Higher or Lower’ to displays by HMS Forces.

Some keen children, staff and parents braved the weather later in the day for the netball and football tournaments – and keen enthusiasm was greatly in evidence as children competed for medals.
Fantastic prizes were available at the tombola and raffle stalls and the spirits were heightened by the presence of local dancers and an excellent ‘blow-up’ slide. Many dads ‘manned’ the hot dog and burger stalls and there were smiles galore as local children from many Helensburgh schools and their parents joined in the fun. Staff and parents were interviewed by ‘Your Radio’ and ‘Helensburgh TV’ and everyone really enjoyed the event.
The communities of Helensburgh and Lomond supported the event so well that an initial total of £4400 was raised. Although some expenses are still to be taken from this total, the school is delighted with the money raised. Newly appointed Head Teacher, Michelle Collins said, ‘I am overwhelmed by the excellent support by the community for this event. Although I do not officially take up post until Monday, I was delighted to be invited along to ‘man’ one of the stalls. The staff, parents and children have been so welcoming today and I cannot wait to take up post next week. What a fantastic start! I am so looking forward to be part of the team at St Joseph’s, if this event is anything to go by, we can only hope to go from strength to strength.’

from Michelle Collins Head Teacher St. Joseph’s

2 thoughts on “St. Joseph’s Annual BBQ

1. I have been to many a St Joseph’s Barbecue and come rain or shine it is always a most enjoyable day out – the “Fishing For Coke” game is a legend! I can always remember my nieces having about 20 shots to try to win a soft toy one year and the same year just as the Netball was about to start there was a big downpour and I had promised to watch – one wet Auntie! The local community always turns out in force to support the school which is good to see.
    Mrs C Keech
    Rosneath Primary School

2. I have just left st joseph’s primary so this was my last school barbecue. I love my FORMER school and will especially miss the school barbecues. I wish all the best to the new head teacher Miss M Collins. Good luck to the new p.7s and the new p1s. I hope the pupils continue enjoying these barbecues. This year the barbecue had to be indoors which turned out quite good. There was some fantastic dancing to!!!!
    ciao, Holly Myers (former pupil)