Penguin In A Box

Kilchrenan Primary pupils are trying to work out what to do with a ridiculous number of penguins. Arriving at a rate of one a day, they are working hard to find ways to store them. Mathematical ways. If you have a cube 6×6 how many penguins do you have? How many will we have on the last day of term? What happens if we stack them in threes? And, what mathematical adventures will they have when they go home? Please note that no penguins were harmed in the making of this learning, though quite a few cubes were stood on. We all recommend the book “365 penguins”, but it does help if you have a large back of unused penguins in your janitor’s cupboard!

4 thoughts on “Penguin In A Box

1. Kilchrenan, that is a fantastic maths project. How many do you think you will have by the end of term? Are you sure you have enough space for them? We are a little bit jealous because at Rockfield we are learning about Polar Lands and really like your penguins. I’m going to buy the book now on your recommendation. Do you think P4/5 will like it?
    Mrs.Watson

2. I think I recognise those penguins. My goodness they’ve survived well in the Antarctic conditions in Kilchrennan…..

3. Thank you for all your comments. The penguins appeared many years ago in Kilchrenan, by a mysterious and shady route, their numbers decreasing as they have been sold off, raffled and escaped. I\’m afraid that, as Gerry and his Mrs Penguin knows, there are no more where these ones came from.
    And yes, it is the Antarctic conditions today as a power cut emptied the staorage heaters.
    P4/5 will love this big time. There are some other resources I\’ve found via TES.
    The penhuins have bonded very strongly with the children, and love going home, being cared for, and finding maths in everything.
    This was a go-with-th-flow activity that has developed into a wonderfully rich opportunity at all levels. Only the P7s are disappointed. We ran out of penguins for them!