Category Archives: Uncategorized

Digital/Language Learning

Professional learning sessions to help practitioners use digital tools to enhance language learning. The webinars cover a wide range of digital tools and are for primary and secondary practitioners.

Secondary – using digital tools in Glow to enhance and capture learning                          Monday 15th June, 11:00 – 12:00

Primary and BGE languages – using mobile devices to enhance and capture language learning.                                                                                                                                                              Monday 15th of June, 14:00 – 15:00

Primary and BGE languages – using G Suite to enhance and capture learning                 Wednesday 17th June, 11:00 – 12:00

To find out more and register for these events  follow the link below: https://glowscotland.sharepoint.com/sites/AberdeenshireCouncil/northernalliance/SitePages/Northern-Alliance-CLPL-Offer.aspx

Family Learning in Innellan

Innellan Primary School has been providing opportunities for family learning through an after-school French club.  Gina Nitschke, a teacher at the school, runs this  club with the assistance of her daughter, Lucy, who is studying French.  This popular club is attended by pupils, siblings, parents and grand-parents.  In fact, the club has proved so popular that it has sparked national interest and you can read more in an article published in the latest edition of the SCILT Newsletter

Intergenerational Learning in Tighnabruaich

This is a lovely memory of a successful Gaelic Intergenerational learning event which was held at the beginning of March, at Tighnabruaich Primary School, in partnership with the Cowal Befrienders.  The event brought together primary pupils, senior DGS pupils and older people who live in the Tighnabruaich area.  Everyone enjoyed a meal together and learned the numbers to 10 in Gaelic. The afternoon culminated in a fun game of bingo in Gaelic! Thanks to everyone involved for making the event a big success and let’s hope that we can bring all the generations together again soon.

During Languages Week Scotland use the hashtag #ScotlandLovesLanguages to share your favourite word in any language.

My favourite French word is pamplemousse In Gaelic it is damhan-allaidh

I just love the sound of those words!  What’s yours?  Also find out your pupils’ favourite words and share with the nation.

During Languages week you could find out how many languages are spoken in your school community and celebrate this.  For example, make a poster representing all the languages spoken by pupils and their families.

Why not use technology in languages- For example, try out Duolingo for schools in your class.

Learn a song in another language

Most importantly enjoy language learning during this special week and use the hashtag #ScotlandLovesLanguages to share what is happening in your school.  Alternatively, send anything you would like to be shared to gwen.mccrossan2@argyll-bute.gov.uk

Virtual Gaelic taster sessions

Jackie Mullen, one of the tutors for the national Gaelic Language in the Primary School (GLPS) course, will provide two taster sessions for beginners on Tuesday the 29th October and Tuesday the 5th November, from 4.05-5.30pm. These sessions will provide a fun introduction to simple Gaelic phrases that you can use with your learners in class. You can access the sessions from your classroom using Google Meet. If you are interested in attending please contact gwen.mccrossan2@argyll-bute.gov.uk

Local Gaelic Learners in the Primary School Course

GLPS is coming to you

Jan Kersel, one of the tutors for the national GLPS course will provide GLPS training in Inveraray.

2 days beginners’ training-  18th Sept 2019 & 2nd Oct 2019

2 days follow-on training- 15th and 29th January 2020

This is a fantastic opportunity to access GLPS without traveling to Stirling for 18 days training. This training provides an accessible alternative. This condensed version will provide an introduction to Gaelic in the primary. Contact Gwen McCrossan- gwen.mccrossan2@argyll-bute.gov.uk  to enrol on this course.

Education Scotland Professional Learning Events

Oban High School- Wednesday 28th August, 1600-1730

Lochgilphead Joint Campus- Thursday 29th August, 1600-1730

Education Scotland will deliver sessions which focus on progression from first to second level in languages with reference to the recently published guidance on the National Improvement Hub:       https://education.gov.scot/improvement/learning-resources/modern-languages-progression-framework This resource brings together all the national documentation practitioners need to plan and deliver language learning. Please contact Gwen McCrossan gwen.mccrossan2@argyll-bute.gov.uk to register for these events.

Mother Tongue Other Tongue Poetry Competition

Well done to Melody Elizabeth Clark-Want from Port Charlotte Primary School. Melody’s poem was highly recommended in the ‘Other Tongue’ category of this national multi-lingual poetry competition.

For this poem I used Gaelic and English. I used English because it is the first language I ever learned and is what I use to write in all the time and feel most easy writing in. The reason I wrote in Gaelic is because it is one of the the languages people use on the place I live in and love.  I also wrote in Gaelic because it was the first language of my grandfather who used to teach me Gaelic, I wrote in Gaelic to thank him for teaching me. Click here to read Melody’s poem. Click here to read the full Anthology.