St John Ogilvie Primary School

Working together as a vibrant learning community of faith and friendship, where everyone is valued and included.

P6B Update

A great week of learning in primary 6!

Numeracy/Maths

We have been learning about multiples and factors and improving the speed and accuracy of our times tables. This has been helpful when working on equivalent fractions. This week we have been learning about road safety and we learned how to calculate the speed, distance and time by completing some word problems, this really got us thinking! The class also used simple charts and graphs to record
and analyse data about their journeys to school during road safety week.

Road Safety week

This week we have been learning about road safety and how to keep ourselves and others safe and how this has changed over time.

IDL

We designed our new space display and it looks great, we have been discussing very interesting facts about the planets in our solar system. We have discovered that some planets have soooo many moons, this is something that interested the whole class.

This week we learned, discussed, evaluated and decided on various issues and viewpoints surrounding road safety and how to convey our ideas, decisions and beliefs through a classroom debate and beyond. We drafted a persuasive letter to a local MP to convince the government to reduce speed limits in the places we live and the children made very compelling, factual arguments. At the end of the week, we gathered all the information we learned on road safety and the class explored the concept of fairness and how people decide what is fair and unfair, and explored the process of debate and compromise in group decision-making. Great work, P6!

R.E

We were excited to learn more about the Missio Charity this week, we learned the Missio together prayer and then created our own acrostic prayers. We are excited to continue our work on this.

A message from Mr Pentland 

This week the class have been brilliant and have engaged so well in their learning. We continued our work with anti-bullying week and the conversations, comments, advice and stories were great to hear. I especially liked:

If someone thought I was bullying them I would be very annoyed!

Why would you be annoyed?

Because I have made someone feel so bad that they would used the word bullying and I have not been the best version of myself. 

This very mature comment was agreed universally and I am so impressed with the attitude and patience the children have with each other during these discussions.

I look forward to seeing you all on Monday! Stay safe!