St John Ogilvie Primary School

Working together as a vibrant learning community of faith and friendship, where everyone is valued and included.

P2 Learning Update – 9.2.24

Good Afternoon,

What a fabulous week we have had in Primary 2!

There has been lots of learning and lots of fun.

We had some visitors in our classroom on Tuesday and Wednesday and they were absolutely blown away by the behaviour and attitude of the children.

In literacy, we learned the sound oi/oy. The children were fantastic at knowing where in the word you find the different spellings of the sound.  We even learned a rap to help us to remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFZw9dwASI4

In Maths, we started working on giving change from 10p/20p.  The children practised paying for different items with a 20p and then working out how much change they should get.  They also investigated the link between addition and subtraction.

After the February break we will be starting our new topic, Under the Sea.  We have discussed with the children what they already know and started to think about what they would like to learn.

We were delighted on Wednesday, when Mrs McKissack called us to the hall for a surprise assembly, to tell us that we are now a GOLD Rights Respecting School!  We are all so proud!

It was wonderful to see the children all dressed in red, pink or gold today.  They all looked fabulous and it was a lovely way to celebrate our Gold award and St Valentine’s Day.

Since we won’t be in school for the start of lent, we celebrated Shrove Tuesday with pancakes and discussed what the children might choose to give up for lent.

Highlights of the Week:

Cameron:  I liked learning about Shrove Tuesday and eating a pancake!

Faye:  I enjoyed learning how much change to give in Maths.

Harald:  I liked learning about Lent.  I am going to give up electronics.

Samuel:  I like building with the K’Nex and finding out how they work.

Lillian:  I liked doing free writing Friday.  I wrote about St. Valentine’s Day.

Huge congratulation to our hot chocolate Friday winner this week, Faye!  Faye is always extremely hard working and is a great friend to others.  We are very proud of you Faye!

Our Reading Champion is Vasilisa.  Vasilisa is doing very well with her reading and is a great reading role model to others.

We hope the children enjoy their break and we can’t wait to see them back in the classroom.

Mrs Craig and Mrs Brand