P5A Weekly update: 28th October 2022

Dear Parents,

We can’t believe another fun week has flown by!

During literacy this week, we focused on learning about and using onomatopoeia. On Tuesday, we played a really fun game of onomatopoeia charades with Mrs Callaghan and then applied our knowledge to create some fantastic fireworks night poetry. We also played lots of fun games on Monday to practice our Wordboost spelling words.

Throughout maths we have primarily been focusing on money and budgeting. We worked really hard on solving some tricky 2-step word problems and adding lots of different coins together. Using our knowledge of this, we had lots of fun in our budgeting lessons. We were all allocated £15 to spend in a restaurant or cafe of our choice and we were challenged to buy a main meal, a side and a drink with this budget. We looked at some online menus and found that in some restaurants it was much easier to stick to our set budget than others! On Thursday, we were set another exciting budget challenge. We had to create a plan of purchases for a classroom revamp! We all had different budgets and discussed the importance of differentiating between a need and a want when planning for purchases within a set budget. We did extremely well and Miss Ventisei now has an extremely long shopping list!

This week we have been extremely busy getting ready for our sustainable Christmas Enterprise! We have all finalised our ideas and are now starting to create our products. Super collaboration, communication and problem-solving skills have been displayed by all pupils throughout this project- well done P5A!

During R.E. we have been learning about Diwali. We discussed how and why people celebrate Diwali within different religions and cultures and also some celebrations specific to Scotland. It was also really lovely to hear the personal experiences and beliefs from children within the class who celebrate this special festival. Through this, we learned about Rangoli art and even created some of our own to display in the school! We loved looking at all of the beautiful colours and patterns used to create this special type of art.

Another highlight of the week was Outdoor Learning. We had a challenge to work collaboratively to make a broomstick using only 1 piece of string and natural materials. This proved to be lots of fun but also built upon so many wonderful problem-solving and communication skills.

On Friday, we were lucky enough to have a special visitor- Dallas- to help us with preparing for our handball festival in November. We had so much fun playing lots of interesting games and learning how to play a new sport.

Our class highlights of the week are:

Leo: “My favourite thing this week was doing the crafts during IDL!”

Max: “I loved learning about our child rights this week and also singing the rights song!”

Bentley: “I liked learning about Diwali and making my own Rangoli pattern”

Jacob: “I loved ERIC and learning the 25 times table this week!”

Olivia: “I loved P.E!”

Weronika: “I loved learning the 25 times table with the counting stick!”

Eilidh: “I liked P.E.!”

Madeleine and Emili: “Our favourite part of the week was Outdoor Learning when we worked in teams to build a broomstick from natural resources!”

Our Hot Chocolate winner for this week was Jacob! He worked exceptionally hard to show super listening, kindness and respect to all those in his class. Well done Jacob!

Here is our learning for term 2.