St. Columbas P.S. and Nursery

#5starschool

Mrs Hopkinson’s Beanstalk

Riley asked in a comment what the white stuff was at the bottom of my beanstalk.

So so that Primary 1 could see how plants grow from seeds I decided to grow butter beans in the classroom. I soaked some cotton wool in water and placed it in a plastic bottle  – that is the white material Riley was asking about – and placed 4 beans around the sides of the plastic bottle. As the beans began to sprout P1 were able to see both the roots and the shoots as they grew. At least 3 began to sprout so I kept the largest one and removed the others for the children to have a closer look at. Unfortunately they were beginning to smell so they had to be binned.  The p1 beanstalk is doing well and if the workmen have not damaged it this weekend then I will transplant it into soil. Perhaps Riley would like to come see it before I put it in the plant pot?

Anyone who would like some butter beans to grow then please just ask and I  will give you a few.